SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cooling a SW300P Dob

I don't use fans on my Dobs. I simply select low definition objects and use low power while its cooling. Targeting large galaxies, open clusters and nebula negates the need to worry about cooling.

If you must observe planetzzzz just wait until later in the night when the optics are at thermal equilibrium.

Congratulations on your new dob :smiley:

As per the posters above, my 12" dob has a fan fitted but I don't use it. My dob is stored inside but I've not found cool down much of an issue. As Steve says, pick low / medium power objects initially while it cools.

Has anyone here made their own cooling system (fan etc) for a 300mm Skywatcher  Dob?

I have joined the Dob mob and would like to do this. I was wondering what size fan would be best suited.

And you've gone for it big time :)

I only have a little 10" dob, but I do the same.  Get it outdoors as early as I know I'm likely to use it, then don't expect too much of it too soon.

James

Just view through it regardless of the temperature, as it cools you will need to adjust the focus, not a big deal, cheaper than a battery plus fan, no vibration, and after a short amount of time it will be cool anyway.....

baggywrinkle.......nice scope, does it wear a jacket?

My scope is a solid tube, that's why I ask if yours has a jacket! The reason, I use a flexi-hose, like those used from the outlet of a tumble dryer. I have a PC fan and 9V battery in one end, and with my scope capped ( closed ) the open end of the flexi-hose sits over my focuser, drawing air through the bottom of my scope. Its quick and I notice results in about 15 mins, but I prefer to cool with more time available, to get a better balance with the ambient temperature, The DIY kit is  just  for  a quick  'grab & go' session if / when the clouds  break here.

As there isn't one fitted then personally I would not go to the effort. As with everyone else, set up the dob and then forget about it for a time whilst organising everything else. If there is a gentle breeze aim it towards this which will assist. My 14" dob does have a fan and I occasionally use it, connecting to a battery for a brief period prior to use, when I had a 12" skywatcher I had no problems with natural cooling, keeping to as mentioned low and medium power observing to begin with.

Archived