Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lunar Stacking - What best software?

Having given up with light polution in Southampton I turned my Mak127 onto the moon last night and had some fun.

I ran the AVIs from FireCapture (using a QHY 5-II Mono) through AutoStakkert and Registax with some success but am sure there are more tricks to the game that I should learn.  What software and any special setting have anyone here found useful.

Thanks

David

Autostakkert is probably the "most favoured" stacking software these days.  Registax 6 does have a good wavelets function (image sharpening) but I now prefer Lucy-Richardson deconvolution which can be found either as a free version of Astra Image (3.0 is the free one) or here:   http://stargazerslounge.com/blog/1400/entry-1808-imppg-image-post-processor/   both of which work very well.

Autostakkert is probably the "most favoured" stacking software these days.  Registax 6 does have a good wavelets function (image sharpening) but I now prefer Lucy-Richardson deconvolution which can be found either as a free version of Astra Image (3.0 is the free one) or here:   http://stargazerslounge.com/blog/1400/entry-1808-imppg-image-post-processor/   both of which work very well.

^^This^^

I haven't used Registax for stacking in years. The game has been moved forward considerably by Autostakkert.

Wavelet sharpening in Regi still works well for Lunar, or, as Roger said, L-R deconvolution (either IMPPG or Astra image). Just make sure to use lots of alignment points in AS!2

I freely admit that I don't really understand how wavelets work, but it's interesting that Lucy-Richardson deconvolution is now being discussed as a potentially better solution.  It's not exactly a new technique, after all.  I wonder what has brought about this change?

James

I have no idea either but tend to go on the results I have produced.

I don't think I have used wavelets for a couple of years now and found I got much better results with using smart sharpen in Photoshop. After that there was a influx of LR decon posting for solar and lunar pictures which I resisted for a while but eventually gave in. I used AI 3.0 for a while and now have the paid version, I just find that with my set up LR decon works the best. Noticeably better than wavelets anyway. Astraimage does have a wavelet function too that I have never used.

I still use Registax as I've never devoted the time to trying to work my way around AS!2

It's really very easy. In the time that it takes to cajole and massage Registax into aligning and stacking an image you will have learned Autostakkert. 4/5 mouse clicks to a stacked image.

Archived