SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Turn of LCD screen on Canon550d??

alcol620

if adventurous you could take apart the camera and disconnect the screen from the circuit board. it would be risky but if you never intend to use the screen it might help, I would not do it yet untill more voices are heard, but apart from smashing it it could be the best option.

this way if you decide to even use it again or sell you could disassimble again and reconnect the screen.

but i repeat. wait till those with far more experience put their word in before you do this

::: Disclaimer ::::

I do not own, nor have handled a camera such as this,so i dont know if the above is possible

also do not attempt if you have no experience taking apart electrinic devices

Hi Peter

Thanks. I have used this, but when taking a series of images programmed on APT, the display switches itself back on again, and it is not too convenient to have to leave the comfort of the conservatory to press the disp button each time.

I think the solution, as Dave said, is to cover the sensor that switches the LCD off when your eye gets near it. I covered it with a piece of paper and it goes off. I assume that it will stay off until the paper is removed.

The reason I want it off all the time is to reduce the power/heat used by the camera and hopefully noise produced.

Thanks for helpful comments.

Alec

I had never noticed that behaviour with APT... Do you mean it coming back on to review the captured image or on during the exposure? if so you should be able to turn that off as well...Image review OFF p.138

IIRC The sensor is in between the viewfinder and the display... the two rectangles on the pic on p.17 of the manual - their function is discussed on p.146  I am not sure that just covering it will do any good - it looks like they might be an emitter/sensor pair working as a proximity sensor...

Peter...

........your paper trick  works, but if you cant switch off altogether,  you should certainly be able to reduce the brightness of an LCD display in the set-up, that alone  should  conserve some battery power. 

Just confirmed that simply covering the sensor on the back of the camera with a piece of paper stuck over it prevents the LCD ever coming on. This seems to be the answer. I have also reduced the brightness of the LCD display as suggested by Charic. The assumption is that no LCD image, no energy used, and hence no noise generated on the image! Is it called amp-glow?

Thanks for your inputs.

Alec

Thanks Mark

I was noticing some colouring around one edge of some imaging and it wasn't vignetting

Do you run the camera from an internal battery? these can get warm the easy solution is to use a battery grip or ext power.

Alan

The way that works for me is to make a connection in APT, then press the "Disp" button to stop the display (one time action). Then in the camera menu disable the "Image Review" option :)

Archived