Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I'm back!!!

JohnnyD333

Its good to be back!!!

After being away from SGL for 2 years, I figured it would be best to reintroduce myself and say hello.  My name is John (if the username didn't give it away) and I have been practicing astronomy and astrophotography since I joined SGL.  I reside in New York, about an hour north of the city, and work as a public school teacher.   I'm getting married in 2 weeks, so wish me luck!!!!!

I got hit with the astrophotography bug as soon as I looked into a telescope.  I instantly wanted to put it on film, mainly due to loving photography as well.  I bought an EQ mount, guidescope, T Ring for my DSLR, and began the long journey of learning astrophotography by making mistakes every time and learning from them.  With all the help from these forums, I actually starting producing some great photos (Ill take anything without star trails).  It is not easy to truly align a mount and stack numerous lights, darks, and flats, but I kept going.  Then, due to personal reasons, I had to move from my nice dark site to a town house surrounded by massive light pollution.  I could no longer simply walk outside and setup my gear, I would have to drive to a local park if I wanted a true dark spot.  Although I would drive to that park occasionally, a few years passed and I went less and less.  But.... Astronomy was always on my mind.

Suddenly, this year was a reawakening for me to get back into astrophotography.  All the Pluto and Rosetta coverage kept reminding me of what I was missing.  Then, when the school I work for asked me to help restore their Observatory (almost done) I realized I wasn't going to waste anymore time.  After speaking to the Supervisor of my condo complex, I can now request to have some lights shut off around my building when I want to observe or do photography.  And I have permission from the Town Supervisor to go right up the road to a small park, anytime of night, for a really dark site.  

So, enough of my rambling.  Its great to be back with all of you.  Sorry for being gone for so long, but that won't happen again (at least until I have kids lol).

Cheers!!!!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a difficult way of life to put aside for a lengthy time John, but no doubt you had sound reasons for doing so.

We're happy to welcome you back, and boost the knowledge bank of the forum, and conversely, you gain something new from 

us.

Anyway, a warm welcome back.

You don't need good luck in a marriage, all it takes is a good woman, and you looking after her.

Kids can be a natural progression from there, and they do  make your lives a lot more interesting,

but like Astro Gear, they drain the wallet too  :grin:.

Best Wishes.

Ron.

Hi John and welcome back to SGL. Interesting read of your past two years, but it looks as if you have now entered a new era with your Astronomy with the support of your school, and life changing events ahead with your forthcoming marriage. All I can say is it is a very worthwhile institution, but you both have to work at it. After almost 50 years I am still happily married with a very loving wife. I wish you every happiness for the future :)

Archived