Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

L Lens Lunar

Alien 13

I recently got hold of a Kenko MC7 x2 teleconverter and thought I would give the combination with the Canon 70-200mm F4 a quick go with the Moon, to my supprise auto focus still works fine even with the combination being at F8.

The 1st image is a single shot with the lens mounted on a tripod in AF mode the second one a stack of 4 processed in PIPP/Registax/PS.

Thanks for looking.

Alan

post-32578-0-02282100-1438148832_thumb.p

post-32578-0-15888800-1438148861_thumb.p

Nice - Is your MC7 actually modifying the reported aperture to the camera body? IIRC mine didn't so the camera still thought it had an faster lens fitted and would still attempt to AF  and  sometimes work on high contrast objects...

Peter...

The TC is reporting the aperature as F8 so all the info is fully modified, the auto focus works both in single and nine point it does struggle a bit in low light or poor contrast but even then the AF confirm will still work if focussing manualy.

It also auto focuses fine in Liveview but the 650D is quite good at that anyway.

Overall I cant be happier I have a easy to carry 70-200 or 140-400mm combo that works fine.

Alan

Nice shot, 400mm focal length is enough to show plenty of detail. It's probably worth taking a lot more frames for stacking, I don't know what a good number is but I usually shoot about 70-100. More frames help knock out the noise and increase the odds of shooting frames with less atmospheric distortion.

PIPP is very handy for pre-processing a stack of hi-red full disc images. It can crop down the images automatically and order them in terms of estimated quality, making it easier to find a good reference frame in Registax. Registax takes far less time to process the cropped frames and doesn't fall over as often.

Archived