SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher 127 (Newbie needing some tips)

Good day to everyone!!

I have just purchased a SkyWatcher 127 GOTO. I have had it for a few days now and have been itching to try it out! My problem is that it has been cloudy every night since I got it, fingers crossed tonight is looking pretty clear, just have to wait for it to get dark. 

This is my first 'proper' telescope that I have owned and I have been reading through the forum for tips on entering the co-ordinates into synscan.

I was just wondering does anyone have any tips for a first time telescope user, is it best for me to start of with something like the moon? Also any tips on aligning the telescope, is brightest star or 2 star alignment easier?

I have tried the alignment indoors to check if it was moving correctly as i didn't want to be stood out in the cold for hours the first night I take it outside without being able to work the thing, 

Any comments will be greatly appreciated,

Thank you

Natalie 

Yeah, no end of moaning on here will solve that issue ;) believe me, i've tried!

Have a good play with the handset, and get used to navigating around with it in doors.

The sky will clear eventually.

James

Hi Natalie,

Another vote for stellarium, shows you what will be in the sky and where to find them. A couple of good books 'turn left at orion' and 'sky&telescope pocket star atlas'. These are handy for when it is cloudy!!!

Hwyl!

I was just wondering does anyone have any tips for a first time telescope user, is it best for me to start of with something like the moon? Also any tips on aligning the telescope, is brightest star or 2 star alignment easier?

Not so much as tips, but just a quick message to say I hope you have a great first night and light  :smiley:

It'll be a good idea to align the scope and finder in the day time and practice aiming and focusing. Fixed objects are easier to find during the day and don't drift out of view. A little practice at this and you'll be well prepared before you first light. Another good idea is to get hold of a decent star atlas and download Stellarium to check out what some of the constellations and brighter stars will be when you're out. 

An hour or so before observing, leave the scope out to cool to air temperature and wrap up warm. It is summer, but the UK nights do get cold. As you start observing, you'll probably notice just how many annoying lights, or trees or buildings or clouds there are around you: there's always something conspiring against the astronomer and his/her pleasure of the night sky  :grin:

Depending on the hour, on your very first night it might be nice just to turn your scope towards Venus and Jupiter, the Moon and a bit later, Saturn; other worlds of great beauty and mystery all within the reach of your scope  :smiley:

Take your time and let us know how your first light went  :grin:

I have just had a quick go at observing the moon, it was the only thing I could look at as there were clouds everywhere, I just used a basic lens not sure what one, it did surprise me how much detail I could see without really trying out all of the lenses I bought (which I am also unsure how to use). Then had to bring it in as it got very cloudy and started raining. Thanks for all of your tips hopefully another clear night tomorrow and I can look at Jupiter and Saturn(my favourite planet)!

Tips - 32mm plossl, or 40mm plossl. You will want the widest possible view for aligning it.

If the scope has a start position then spend a little extra time getting it as accurate as you can.

My preference for an alignment is one that has a defined start position - usually level and North.

Read the manual, read whatever the display says.

I assume that you have entered your location and associated data at home in the living room where it is nice light and warm = Long, Lat, Time Zone, Location Name.

Do not try to enter the data for the first time outside in the dark.

A goto is not automatic, it does not do everything for you, you do need to have some knowledge.

Objects: Moon, M57, Albireo, (try) M33, M13.

Agree with Ronin, a 32/30mm plossl is a good investment with this scope. I like Vixen NPLs but GSO are also very good and very reasonably priced. This scope excels at solar system objects and double stars so it's worth hunting for some of these. The lunar 100 is also a great list to explore with this scope.

Archived