SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Struggling setting up.

Hi I'm having trouble setting up my telescope for astrophotography.

Really sorry for the most probably basic question but really struggling and googles plenty to no avail.

My scope is a celestron astronomer 130EQ. I have purchased a Barlow T adapter which is 1 + 1/4" and a t ring which fits my canon EOS 650d however I have no idea how i would go about setting my camera up to be able to take pictures???

I don't have a clue which bit goes where etc.

Thanks for the replies. I'm still really struggling to understand what I need exactly to connect my camera to the scope?

I have a T ring already for my camera which fits, I have a 1 1/4 t adapter but the one thing I don't understand is my T ring is far far too big to connect to the T adapter? Can you buy a t adapter that will connect to my canon camera and to a t adapter?

So basically one end is say 52mm and one is tiny to fit in my scope tube?

Sorry to ask silly questions but I've been reading all day.

Elliott.

Put 'dslr t ring telescope' into Google and view images, it might help. First returned image is clear.

I use a t ring and a 1.25 t adaptor from FLO for my EOS DSLR. Even though my telescope has a t ring thread I prefer to use a t adaptor.

Most t adapters are t2, but some are m48 i think. If the adapter wont screw on to your t ring "the peace that connects to the camera", then your adapter might be t2 and your ring m48. Depending on whitc is bigger?

Hi Elliott,

Welcome to the collective,

You will need these 2 components for your scope/camera set up...

T ring

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/t-rings.html

The first one on the list is the correct one for a Canon EOS dslr

T adaptor 1 1/4"

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/flo-125-inch-t-mount-camera-adapter.html

This screws directly into the camera t ring.

It sounds like you may have the wrong t-ring... it should have a 42mm thread not 52mm

The t adaptor should just fit into your focuser draw tube (or barlow lens) in place of the usual eyepiece.

Have you also got the tracking motors for your mount?

Hope this helps.

Sandy. :grin:

I an unaware if the celstron Astromaster has the same focus issues Dave mentions that the skywatcher 130p has.

A quick search confirms it has the same issue reaching focus with a dslr not enough inward focus. Hopefully your barlow will enable it.

Many thanks again really appreciate it I do! I suppose what my problem is put simply; my T ring is big and my T adapter is small. There is no way my T adapter will screw into the t ring. I bet the t ring is double the circumference of the adapter. Can you buy a Tadapter that would fit in my viewing tube and be big enough at the other end to connect my t ring to?

Elliott.

Have a look at this http://www.astronomyforbeginners.com/astrophotography/prime-focus.php, as the picture may explains things a bit easier for you...

Instead of the barlow, I just use a 2" nosepiece 'camera telescope adapter', and remove any 1.25 to 2" adapter, but this will only work if you get enough inward travel to be able to focus.

Archived