Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Centre spot colour

What is the best colour for a primary mirror centre spot to enable me to see it when collimating. I have a SW 200p wich has a black one but this just blends in with the secondry reflection and makes it very hard to see. I wear glasses if that makes any difference....Thanks in advance....Geoff

You could hide the reflections by inserting some card / paper between the secondary and primary mirror. This reduces reflection errors whilst setting the secondary. As for a new centre spot, the paper ring binder strengtheners are more than suitable, slightly larger than the original spot, and often recommended to be blacked out using felt pen. You will need to see the spot at some stage when aligning the primary. A black spot/ring shows well using the Barlowed-Laser method when setting the primary mirror. Either colour, you just need to aim the scope at a bright source, a wall or sky in order to better see the ring.

HTH.

Oh, very well.  Its been in place for a couple of years.  I had to re-apply it after washing the primary as it's not as indelible as I was lead to believe.  I tend to colimate during the afternoon before I know I will be out for a session and my scope hangs on to collimation really well - only need to adjust it 3 or 4 times a year.

Archived