Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece Upgrade.

Iv got a Sky Watcher Skiliner PX250, and want to upgrade the eyepieces. At the moment I have a 15mm, a 20mm and a 28mm. Non of which are very good quality. Im thinking about a couple of Baarder Hyperions, maybe a 5mm and a 10mm. These seem to be about £90 each.

My question is, for that price, could I get anything better? Could I get something the same quality cheaper? Also, as these are modular, if I just get a 5mm and take a ring off, that would be a 10mm as well yes?. Thanks in advance for any help given.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would personally not go for the Hyperions. I have the 250px and my Hyperion Zoom works much better with my refractors than the 250px. Its not bad as such, its just not as good as it should be. If you want better high mag eyepieces, then I cannot recommend the Vixen SLVs enough, although they are narrower in terms of field of view. To match the 68 degrees of the Hyperions, then the SkyWatcher SWAs are decent, and I hear nothing but good things about the BST range which are cheaper than the Hyperions anyway (but 60 degree).

I agree with MattJenko on the Hyperions. They are nice eyepieces in scopes with focal ratios of F7 or slower but show quite a lot of distortions towards the outer parts of the field in faster scopes.

The BST Explorer / Starguiders or the Maxvision 68 degree range are a better bet in a fast scope such as your 250mm F/4.7.

The Vixen SLV's are real gems though, despite "only" having a 50 degree field of view.

I was not overawed by the Skywatcher SWA 70's that I tested a while back:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/211960-skywatcher-swa-70-degree-eyepieces/

I was hoping to spend round £100 each. The vixen SLV might be out of my price range. I'll have to look at the BST Explorer and the Maxvisions thanks for all your comments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As you can see from my signature I went with Televue Plossls with a Vixen SLV to cover the high power side of things. Quality wise they're all about as good as you can get, and because they're only 50° they don't break the bank; £65-£85 for brand new plossls depending on the size you want.

When did you first look?

One of the Vixen lines is being phased out and replaced by a newer SSW range of Vixen eyepieces.

It could well be the SLV's so they may now be reduced if it is them.

If you want to replace the 15mm, I would get a very good 13mm for DSO, and a 6mm for planetary observation.

Alternatively, a 13mm and a tele-extender 2x, and possibly later a 10mm if you want to cover the gap between 13 and 6.5, and have a 5mm for superb nights.

It's often surprised me just how much more expensive astro gear can be on eBay.

These are my experiences for your consideration.

£109 is about the standard price for SLVs, but there are lower prices - around £85 - out there both new and second hand. I've seen a few on AstroBuySell recently, don't know if they're still available. The SLVs very nice to use and optically excellent too: lovely contrast.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen-eyepieces/vixen-slv-eyepieces.html

If wide field is your preference the ES82 range is modestly priced. I bought my 11mm second hand, but it's worth every penny of the new price. I'm very tempted to buy the 4.7mm, but there are the new, and much more expensive, Vixen SSWs coming...

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/explore-scientific-eyepieces/explore-scientific-82-degree-series-eyepieces.html

Does FLO still have those reduced Myriads available? :-)

James

But that didn't necessarily answer your question about 2" eye pieces (EP)s.

They're only worth worrying about if you're looking for longer focal length EPs and a wide field of view.

In these the optical path through the EP needs to be wide, too wide for an 1.25" tube! So as you said the 2" body allows more space for light.

If you're looking for EPs at focal length shorter than 16mm the 1.25" tube isn't going to have a problem, so there's no need for a BIG EP.

Additionally 2" EPs that work well in your f4.7 scope are likely to be expensive. But that depends on how picky you think you'll be, personal taste as always.

James

Up to now I'm thinking of a couple 1.25's say, round the 5mm and 10mm. And 2" of about 28mm for the DSO's. I agree eBay prices, I don't think I'll be looking there again lol. Thanks for your added info James. I'm in no rush to buy. I want to get the right ones first time.

2" eyepieces don't let more light in as such. The aperture of the scope determines how much light is captured. What a 2" eyepiece can do is to give a wider field of view than a 1.25" one in the same focal length.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your help. Iv ordered my first one. A Vixen SLV 9mm from Bristol Cameras. Replacing my 15mm and 20mm can wait a while. Next will be a eyepiece for DSO's. No doubt I'll be asking for more advise again soon.

Archived