Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fuji raw file conversion

Traveller

Hello all,

I am keen to experiment shooting raw with my Fuji XE-1, but have a few questions for the more experienced users on SGL.

1. Can Deep Sky Stacker handle Fuji's RAF raw file format? Or do I need to convert RAF to TIFF or FIT first before DSS?

2. Which programs do you use or recommend? I have the bundled program called SilkyPix.

3. What settings do you use when converting RAF to TIFF/FIT? Do you change the settings when using the camera at prime focus for DSO v when you use camera lenses for widefield?

Thank you in advance!

Bo 

Hello Bo. :)

1. Yes, I just tried and DSS had no problem reading RAF files.

2. As an image processing program I highly recommend PixInsight. It has a free 45 day trial period (with no restrictions on the program), so you can try it an see what you think.

3. I don't know which program you use, so I can't say what settings you should use. But when converting raw files for further processing you want to keep the raw data unchanged, so use whichever settings that does that. One exception is that you probably want to turn it into a color image, and in that case you should enable debayering.

Archived