SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Choosing imaging software - The jungle !

Vox45

So I finally took the plunge and got all the required hardware to start imaging DSO's (with a DSLR)

I thought it was time to finally relax, when I opened this spankin' new can of worms ... softwares.

I am now used to the usual processing software names (DSS, Registax, Pixinsght and all) but what about guiding, plate solving, sequencing ? There are a lot of software out there that have overlapping functionalities and I've seen prices range from 'free' to '600$'

I would bet that for my level of experience these would be appropriate:

(1) PHD2 (guiding)

(2) Astrotortilla (plate solving)

(3) BEOS (sequencing)

(4) ASCOM / EQMOD

(5) Carte du Ciel

I have succefully installed and used ASCOM and EQMOD and was able to (kind of) guide with PHD2...but should I move to more 'pro' softwares that integrate all these functionalities, and if so ... which one ? and, god forbid... are there better software out there that people are now using and that I have even not heard about ?

I would hate to spend time learning to use obsolete software or learn 5 different ones and find out that a single one integrates them all (Nebulosity, MaximDL, Sequence Generator)

This is a touchy subject and as people say 'to each his own' but there must be some kind of consensus in the community as to which one are suitable and which one are not worth it (no support, no new version, too pricey, bloated, etc)

Please, your experience could help a lot of newbies like me ;)

also look at APT for the price you cannot be robbed.

http://www.ideiki.com/astro/Default.aspx

+1. can't believe I forgot to mention APT ! :)

Those are nice features for me...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sky Quality tracking with Unihedron device or by manually entered user estimations

DARV - Drift Alignment by Robert Vice method - experimental. Never implemented in astro program before

Plate solving with AstroTortilla in both EOS and CCD modes

Bahtinov Aid - powered by the Bahtinov Grabber technology to provide focusing with sub-pixel precision with a mask

PHD Auto-Dithering, exposure Auto-Canceling and real-time monitoring of the distance to the guide star

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

but there are so many functionalities that makes it makes it hard to compare to other softwares.

For DSO I use APT to capture the various time exposure subs, PHD for guiding, Nebulosity 3 to stack and align subs and complete processed frames and photoshop to process the channel frames.

For planet images I use ICap and FireCapture, autostakkert to stack, RegiStax 6 for wavelets and photoshop for final touches.

Unfortunately different software do different features well, for example registax can stack and wavelets process but autostakkert seems to be better for stacking, although registax doesn't do a bad job. Nebulosity can stack and align high res tiff or fits files well but processing is slow and limited, that's where photoshop or gimp excell...

A lot of people swear by pixinsight, I haven't used it so I can't comment on it but for me using various software for different features works.

Try different software and you'll eventually find what works for you.

So I installed APT and Astrotortilla using Gib007 tutorial

The fact that you can manage PHD and send EQMOD commands in APT is pretty nice... I have to say that when I first looked at APT sometime ago, the interface and features were not as good as the version I installed. I just need to figure out if Astrotortilla works with APT as it is not listed in the 'camera' dropdown (BEOS is...) Unless the entry 'astro photography refers to APT?

I already own BEOS but know I am starting to regret paying 38€ for it ;)

MaximDL is way out of the price I am willing to pay for now. From what I can tell, It looks to be more oriented towards permant obsy (lots of feature, too much for my needs)

I still need to take a look at Nebulosity... 

Have a serious look at AstroArt V5.

It does everything you're looking for - and more!

I sure will take a look at it ! I just downloaded MaximDL demo version so AstroArt will be next on the testing bench :)

The only regret now is that I bought BYEOS for nothing. It does look nice and it is a great piece of software but the big difference I did not took in consideration at the time is that it only works with Canon DSLRs (there is another version for Nikon)

APT support both DSLRs and CCD camera wich is a plus in my mind as you don't have to learn to use a whole new software when switching to CCD. It is not a big deal but it is nice. If only it supported webcams for planetary imaging... but I guess this is easier said than done ;)

I have succefully installed and used ASCOM and EQMOD and was able to (kind of) guide with PHD2...but should I move to more 'pro' softwares that integrate all these functionalities, and if so ... which one ? and, god forbid... are there better software out there that people are now using and that I have even not heard about ?

EQMod with Cartes du Ciel for locating objects and PHD for guiding are pretty much de facto standards. After that, it's pub brawl time .... :grin: My bar-room starter would, of course, be MaxIm DL for image capture, guiding, calibration and stacking.

Astro - software is a minefield and there are (as you have seen above) a wide range of opinions and to some extent, all the answers are correct :icon_scratch:

However, here are some 'givens':-

1. ASCOM is cool

2. If you have a Synta based GoTo mount then EQMod is a no-brainer

3. If you are using EQMod, Cartes du Ciel is the perfect companion despite its 'clunky' appearance. If you like pretty user interfaces, try Stellarium

4. No one ever got shot for using PHD because it just works

5. A huge number of deep sky imagers use Deep Sky Stacker successfully although it is not necessarily foolproof

6. MaxIm DL users don't generally see eye to eye with AstroArt users :evil: but the truth is that both programs are brilliant (although MaxIm DL is, of course the better of the two :grin:)

Try the trial version of each program before you buy if possible.

I would go without hesitation with MaximDL if I had a permanent setup and a dome to manage (cloud sensor, rain detector, opening and closing the dome, those sort of things) as the price of MaximDL compared to the price of the whole setup would be marginal. I have not yet tested Astroart. I will leave no stone unturned :)

APT does have an integrated plate solving software (it uses Pointcraft) so I'll have to compare it to Astrotortilla.

I agree that chosing the right software is also based on personal preferences and that it is a difficult question to ask 'which is the BEST' but now I have enough information to choose from known and trusted software and not waste time testing obsolete or really badly designed tools.

I can now say that (in my case) APT+Carte Du Ciel+PHD+Astrotortilla seem to be the perfect combination for guiding a DSLR and plate solving.

As for the processing part: DSS and Pixinsight seem to have the upper hand, although I've heard that Pixinsight has a steep learning curve ;)

I can now say that (in my case) APT+Carte Du Ciel+PHD+Astrotortilla seem to be the perfect combination for guiding a DSLR and plate solving.

As for the processing part: DSS and Pixinsight seem to have the upper hand, although I've heard that Pixinsight has a steep learning curve ;)

Sounds like a good combination. 

In terms of image capture and stacking I continue to be a big fan of Nebulosity - it integrates well with PHD & AstroTortilla and whilst I'm sure MaximDL & Astro Art are top notch products, Nebulosity just suits my level of requirements.

Sequence Generator Pro costs about a quarter of Maxim, it integrates with Phd2 for guiding and various plate solvers. The developers also provide excellent support. If you add Pixinsight for processing you're still half the cost of Maxim.

Sequence Generator Pro costs about a quarter of Maxim, it integrates with Phd2 for guiding and various plate solvers. The developers also provide excellent support. If you add Pixinsight for processing you're still half the cost of Maxim.

Im a SGP fanboy, but I'd recommend getting to grips with the basics first. get EQMOD, PHD and Cartes du Ciel going first. SGP requires a working knowledge of these foundations, so jumping straight at SGP, IMHO, is too much.

Free processing can be done with GIMP, though most of the tutorials are based on Photoshop (which costs under £9 per month).

but I'd recommend getting to grips with the basics first. get EQMOD, PHD and Cartes du Ciel going first. SGP requires a working knowledge of these foundations, so jumping straight at SGP, IMHO, is too much.

..that's probably a fair comment.  :icon_salut: ..... which applies equally to Maxim.

Im a SGP fanboy, but I'd recommend getting to grips with the basics first. get EQMOD, PHD and Cartes du Ciel going first. SGP requires a working knowledge of these foundations, so jumping straight at SGP, IMHO, is too much.

Free processing can be done with GIMP, though most of the tutorials are based on Photoshop (which costs under £9 per month).

These I am comfortable with :)

I will look into SGP .... funny enough, it was in my bookmarks in the 'software to test' folder ;) I must have read about this some time ago and forgot about it ! thanks for reminding me :)

I use pretty much the same stuff for remote controlled video astronomy:

CdC, EQMOD - plus of course my hardware specific USB focus control. 

I am perhaps more interested in the post-processing aspects.

Haven't yet decided re. Photoshop. Not really sure about "tithe-ware"! :p

I believe Photoshop Elements is just that... "elements" of the real deal?

I'm also assuming that Photoshop Elements is 8-bit processing only??? 

Whether the utilities offered by: http://www.prodigitalsoftware.com/Astronomy_Tools_For_Full_Version.html

(I like sparkles with my Pleiades!) merits purchase of PS, I'm not sure. ;)

But meanwhile, I am making a concerted effort to get to grips with GIMP.

As a video astronomer, I'm (mostly) happy with 8-bit processing...

Though I believe there is now a 16-bit version available?

I've found several Gimp plugins for Astro. A *particular* favourite does 

Exposure Blending (Actually see the trapezium amid the M42 nebula!) :)

Occasionally have to get rid of Gradients. For that I use the magnificently

quirky but free IRIS software! PS users might prefer: GradientXTerminator?

http://www.rc-astro.com/resources/GradientXTerminator/

Another thing that appealed to me is "Straton" (qv) which can split stars

and nebulosity into separate images allowing for different processing. :cool:   

About all I can think of to add to any prospective list.

For the processing part I'll go with Pixinsight. I was fortunate enough to find a Pixinsight bootcamp here in France. I hear that the learning curve is steep so that can be a good thing, and a chance to meet new people ;)

I hear that people use both Pixinsight and Photoshop but I hate the new Adobe system of monthly payement for all kind of reasons and principles... so I'll be looking at alternatives, GIMP is one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived