Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A nice couple of hours in the south

Davey-T

Just moved position of my portable setup after having a large tree felled opening up the view to the north for PA and to the south for viewing

Got it nicely PAd, so can drill some holes for the tripod feet tomorrow then spent a pleasant couple of hours working my way up Sagittarius into Scutum taking in M8, M20,M23, M24, M17, M16 then M11 and had to have a look at M13, be rude not to, and finally, as I had to do a meridian flip to park it, to Albireo.

Mostly used the TV hand grenade but tried 13mm and 6mm Ethos at times.

All in all a nice bit of visual observing as I'm usually imaging, if I keep this up I'll have to start a Messier list  :grin:

Dave

Nice targets! It seems that you had a lovely evening!

M22 is over there too and jumps up like M13. 

The Herschel 400 is a good range of targets. The book is excellent as it does suggested monthly tours,
http://www.jimscosmos.com/star-charts/herschel-400/
Nick.

Nice link! I will also give a look at the <8-9 Mag open clusters in there! 

I have a question though..

Why the Caldwell objects, although already named in the New General Catalogue, were renamed with C-, whereas the objects in the Hershel 400 are simply considered a subset from the complete NGC set? Couldn't Patrick Moore do the same and just call them something like 'The Moore 109', instead of renaming them?

Eventually he did not discover them.. I am a bit confused..    :confused:  Any ideas?

Nice targets! It seems that you had a lovely evening!

M22 is over there too and jumps up like M13. 

Yes forgot I caught that as well, wasn't making notes, so no written record, got out of the habit since getting hooked on imaging :)

Certainly a good evening, clear sky, no wind, no dew, no Moon, doesn't happen very often

Dave

Yes forgot I caught that as well, wasn't making notes, so no written record, got out of the habit since getting hooked on imaging :)

Certainly a good evening, clear sky, no wind, no dew, no Moon, doesn't happen very often

Dave

And decent temperature too! :)

Nice write-up Dave. M24 is great. Anything described as a Star Cloud sounds massively exciting! It must be a different experience to just have a bash at visual if you're used to going for exposures. Having said that, I often wonder what it's like on the AP side of the fence :)

Archived