Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Smallest car to transport a 12" dob?

acey

Time for me to get a new car, and I want to downsize. So I'm wondering how small I can go, and still be able to transport my 12" Flextube plus assorted gear. If you have this sort of scope or similar, and regularly transport it in a small car, I'd be interested to hear what you drive and how you manage.

My renault Clio gets me and my 10" dob plus gear to where we need to go. No room for passengers though.

Tube on the back seat with camping gear wedging it in. Base on the front seat. Beer in the boot. Sorted!

Just check that the 12" base isn't too tall for the front seat.

Paul

Thanks, it's the base I'm worried about. It presently goes on the back seat of my Vectra and only just goes through the door. Tube doesn't worry me too much, and I always go solo so no prob there. I read of someone who could fit the base sideways in their boot but can't remember what car that was.

The base of mine would fit in the boot of my Skoda Fabia hatchback, with the ota across the back seat, which was cradled by the foam package molds and seat belted.  would then put a few items inside the base, so utilizing the space further. I expect the fabia similar to a polo, possibly golf in capacity terms as well as engine spec and so forth.

Now I use a 14" solid tube the situation is a little different of course but still feasible to configure the tube into a compact hatchback (though I would in time like a Fabia estate).

Focus........ Base on front seat, OTA across back seat ( cushioned with old cot mattresses and a Duvet ).  I've no doubt a 12" would fit the same.  Like everything else, try before you buy,  get that scope down to the dealers :grin:

When I bought my last car, I didn't have the scope with me to measure up, so used my youngest daughter lying on her side   :grin:   It was pretty accurate!

Car is a Citroen Picasso - big enough for scopes, but largely made of flimsy plastic and strange computer glitches...

Ford KA.

Pull back seats froward.  Cover area with duvet.  Put mount on its back on duvet.  Incline front passenger seat and place OTA (in sleeping bag) on seat using seat belt.

Tesco value duvet/bag are good enough.

Cheers,

Mark

Archived