Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

16x80 Opticron WP Observation Binoculars

Hi All, as I am doing more and more imaging recently and as my mount is now capable of doing longer exposures, I find myself with time on my hands when out in the field.  I do not want to go to the effort of setting up my other mount / scope and as I have got a couple of pairs of 'small' binoculars which I enjoy using, I  am tempted to try a pair of these 16x80 binos, or possibly the 20x80 ones?  Couple of questions: -

1.  has anyone tried these, are they any good? 

2.  I have a fairly cheap tripod (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003SQEAY0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00) which works well with an Astrotrac, would it be suitable for use with either of these binos, or would I need something else?

3.  Assuming the tripod is Ok, would I need anything else to attach the binos to the tripod?

4.  How easy is it to find things with these higher mag. binos, would a small red dot finder or something similar be useful, or just annoying?

5.  Would you go for the 16x80 or the 20x80 pair?

6.  Am I missing anything?

Cheers

DDS :)

Hi davedownsouth, haven't used these binoculars but an Internet search shows they have a 17mm eye relief (maybe not enough if you wear glasses when observing), weigh in at 2.39KG (just less than the 15x70 Helios Apollo's) and provide a 4.3 degrees FOV . I have always found the use of a led finder helpful with any mounted binoculars. A heavy tripod will allow the binoculars to perform to their best and you will see so much more in a steady view.

Cheers,

Steve

Archived