Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Processing revisit. Let me know what you think :)

So this is the unofficial 45£ VS 240£ post process software challange.

I know it takes more skill than i posess to do an actual comparison of software, but i want to know what to spend my money on.

As i'm a beginner i think i'm just as well off with a 45£ software (StarTools) as a 240£ software (PixInsight)

The StarTools software demo did not allow me to save the image, so one of the images is a screeshoot. Both images are therefore rescaled to make it possible to make a comparison.

The first one has some more color depth with more variation of the blues, but i have processed out a lot oft the stars with noice reduction.

The second one has more detail in the nebulocity and the bright stars is not as bloated. The second one also has less vignetting and gradient in the uncropped image, but the ST80 has a lot of coma, so it needed cropping.

Here is the processed images.

post-42115-0-53757900-1436297460.jpg post-42115-0-09155600-1436297475.png

Both images is stacked in dss, processed in StarTools or PixInsight, and some final streaching / tweaking in GIMP

If anyone has the time, and want to spend it on some processing i would really like to see what someone else can do with the data :)

Here is the link to the stacked images (edited and autosave)

Anyhow, all tips and inputs are welcome :)

Your ST80 has done really well.

I like both images.

The nebulosity in the bottom one is nice.

From my limited goes each time I processed an image the output varied. Before making a choice maybe try a few more times I even went back and stacked differently.

Pixinsight has a built in stacker?

I chose startools as for the amount of time I was going to spend imaging the price fitted.

Your ST80 has done really well.

I like both images.

The nebulosity in the bottom one is nice.

From my limited goes each time I processed an image the output varied. Before making a choice maybe try a few more times I even went back and stacked differently.

Pixinsight has a built in stacker?

I chose startools as for the amount of time I was going to spend imaging the price fitted.

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

I think PixInsight has built in stacking option, but i used dss for both.

If i go with StarTools i can afford it pretty soon, but PixInsight is a loong save up :) Broke my bank ordering a SW Equinox 80 PRO APO! It's on its way from FLO to Norway right now :)

I think StarTools and a 2" T-adapter for the Equinox is next on my "to get" list.

On a side note, i did confuse the £ sign and the € sign erlier in the post. PixInsight and StarTools has not had a sudden rise in price...

Must also mention that the ST80 was bougth as a guidescope for my "future" setup and to make the step into AP a little easyer, but as a beginner it have been fun to image with it. In a few days it's retired to it's role of guiding.

There are good posts to read and get tips in the startools forum. A few YouTube videos as well.

I like the grow blob select tool.

Thanks. Just found the StarTools forum now.

Think this is the way to go for a beginner like me. Getting StarTools now does not limit the possebility of getting Pix in the future, if needed.

Students like me need to limit spendings to some degree ;)

It is a good forum just to see other startools processed images, though I had read each time need good data and flats are not an option when seeking a great image.

Flats is not an option as in must have?

I have taken flats for all my sessions. I had trubble some time in dss when stacking with flats. I got horrible "grid" all over my image.

I solved it by using a bayer pattern filter in dss.

The EOS 550d did not have a default, but the EOS 400d had, and it worked,

post-42115-0-74703800-1436300790.png

Had a little play with your editeddss3 file - using StarTools in which I am really only a beginner, having purchased it earlier this year. Not sure if it's any improvement (and not quite sure which dss file would be best to use nor which, if any, are still linear) but see what you think.

I love StarTools, but there is a learning curve, which I am still on.

post-38153-0-27362500-1436300788_thumb.j

Had a little play with your editeddss3 file - using StarTools in which I am really only a beginner, having purchased it earlier this year. Not sure if it's any improvement (and not quite sure which dss file would be best to use nor which, if any, are still linear) but see what you think.

I love StarTools, but there is a learning curve, which I am still on.

attachicon.gifediteddss3.jpg

All the files is still linear (i think). They have only been edited in dss with luminance, saturation an RGB levels.

You got some results real fast! I spent most of the day making the second image in the first post :)

It's obvious that StarTools has all the power that i need at my stage, and probably for some time to go ;)

StarTools has some amazing features, of which the tracking process is just one. I did have to upgrade to a 64 bit operating system to take full advantage, but it made a huge difference to my somewhat underpowered system.

Its creator, Ivo, helped me through the first steps but there are several helpful people on its forum some of whom produce cracking results.

StarTools has some amazing features, of which the tracking process is just one. I did have to upgrade to a 64 bit operating system to take full advantage, but it made a huge difference to my somewhat underpowered system.

Its creator, Ivo, helped me through the first steps but there are several helpful people on its forum some of whom produce cracking results.

Well i'm a nerd of sorts, so system power is not lacking :icon_cyclops_ani:

post-42115-0-92611600-1436303228.png post-42115-0-14878400-1436303232.png

Have you tried the Astroart 5 programme there is demo you can fully use you just cannot save I think it is around £100 to buy

Tanks for the tip. I see they have a demo on their pages.

It looks to be 129€, so more expencive than StarTools, but it can stack and post process.

Always good to be able to test a demo :)

Archived