SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pluto observing - This Friday?

mdstuart

Good evening

Anyone up for trying to spot Pluto from the top of Blorenge* mountain this Friday evening? :laugh:

* I think this is where you guys meet (nr Abergavenny)

Is there a reasonable southern horizon from there? We need to be able to see Pluto at Midnight at an altitude of 17 degrees. :eek:

Its mag 14.2. I can get to Mag 13.3 from home but I think a dark sky would allow us to see Pluto through my 16 inch dob.

post-1454-0-55826100-1436293746_thumb.jp

The weather forecast looks possible and the moon will then be gone..

Anyone up for it? Anyone want to bring a bigger scope? Imagers welcome..

Regards

Mark

P.S We could also look at Comet Lovejoy and lots of things like the Veil etc..

Hi Mark,

Hope you are well.

I'm on hols this week so unfortunately  I can't make it friday. I find the southern horizon, esp that low down is not too good from the blorenge, it tends to suffer with a lot of LP from the valleys/newport/cardiff. However, the north, east and west are good and the zenith is excellent.

You may be interested in a cliff top parking area at Southerndown on the coast :

51.449041, -3.610007

I bagged M83 from here a couple of months ago - the low southerly horizon is excellent because the only land mass is a distant exmoor NP across the bristol channel :-)

So at the moment I am thinking I might go for a more local dark spot given the feeback on the Blorenge mountain.

Now thinking Mendips possibly but the weather is now less positive for Friday..

I will play it by ear as they say.

Mark

Archived