SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Collimation help!

I'm currently using a Cheshire and a cap, following astro baby's guide but this is what I get? The centre circle is miles away from the secondary mirror but is under the cross hairs? Help!

post-43521-0-93160900-1436287948_thumb.j

post-43521-0-21029600-1436287993_thumb.j

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/197640-collimation-and-star-hopping/

No matter which guide you read, spend time and more time,  reading and understanding the task, look at it,  look again, visualise it, then try it. 

The day my Skyliner arrived, I needed to correct an alignment problem with the collar at one end of the tube, however, I totally dismantled the whole scope, then re-built it.

It works how it should, and once you understand how everything in the scope works, it becomes very easy.

Unfortunately, looking at  photo images  is not the best situation for us. We would all love to visit and help, but distances wont allow.

.......If it looks good, leave it  and try it.

I suggest Polaris, although not the brightest Star,  it does not move across the field of view when checking?

Allow the scope to cool to ambient, and  that you have good seeing conditions ie. Stars not twinkling when viewed with naked eyes?

Use a small focal length eyepiece, high magnification, and de-focus the image. You should see a series of concentric circles ( the Airy disk) if this is tidy and looks concentric, you wont get much better!

Archived