Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Incredible dark sky observing from Yosemite

My son booked a house in Yosemite to see the incredible scenery. I have to say it is fantastic. I will post photos on my return.

However, what really pleased me was the incredible skies. I have never seen the milky way so well even from the darkest skies in the UK.

Over the last few nights using the 15x70 binos I have viewed the following. M7, M6, M4, M80, NGCs 6231, 6451 (all these in Scorpius). M22 (better than M13!!) Messier objects 23, 21, 17, 20, 54, 69 and 70. NGC 6624 and 6569. Down to Corona Australis to view the lovely Glob NGC 6723.

Finally I viewed M51, M101, M81, M82, North American Neb and part of the Veil Neb ( not the part by star 52)

So as they say you cannot beat a really dark sky. This is a journey I won't forget.

Sounds fabulous Mark :smiley:

I've been to Yosemite many years ago but we only had a day there. It's certainly somewhere I'd love to return to. Theres miles and miles of it too so you can really get away from the crowds in the central valley area.

sounds absolutely stunning Mark. To top those unbelievable daytime scenes off with a night or to under pristine skies must be awesome. and I mean it in the true, grown-up sence of the word :)

I had  some family visit from the Shropshire / Welsh border`s not long back, and although they can see some Stars where they live, they were blown away by the levels of visibility that I have, only minutes away up here in Scotland when the conditions are right ?

They really couldnt understand/appreciate, that  on one particular night,  we were casting  body shadows on the ground ? Thats how bright the Milky Way  can appear!

Now back in Livermore just outside San Francisco. If you get the opportunity try and visit Yosemite the scenery is beautifull and the skies just fantastic. I suppose I am lucky that my son and his family live in Livermore so he knows the area. Even from Paul's home the skies are great so I still have a few more days to do some observing.

Sounds brilliant mark, maybe do a dobfest up there :-)

YEAH!!! YEAH!!! YEAH!!! YEAH!!!!  :D

Mark, thank you for your report, I am sure we are all looking forward to seeing your images upon your return.

Please may I ask you a question Mark?  Which area of the UK have you been that has, in your estimation, been the darkest?

YEAH!!! YEAH!!! YEAH!!! YEAH!!!!  :D

Mark, thank you for your report, I am sure we are all looking forward to seeing your images upon your return.

Please may I ask you a question Mark?  Which area of the UK have you been that has, in your estimation, been the darkest?

blue john mines in Derbyshire! :grin:

I stayed at Tenaya lodge in Yosemite for 3 nights and went out with my WO 66 but was warned to be careful of the bears and wildlife if I was out alone.

Must say the skies were as black as a black thing could get and the views were wonderful. Was a bit disconcerting with all of the sounds of nature but was still excellent.

the Hotel did a starlight walk with no torches which again was worth it. I did a quick constellation  tour with some of my fellow walkers when they started asking questions the guide could not answer.

If you can visit Yosemite it is well worth it.

Nice place to stay, Mark, and the night skies are fantastic there!  It gets so dark, you don't want to venture up the driveway too far in case of bears or wild cats!  The elevation helps too.

We rented a place by Wawona last summer and it was fantastic.  First night was clear but cloudy thereafter. However, I'd had a proper dark night on the coast south of Carmel a few nights earlier so I was happy.  Had a lovely relaxing time and highly recommended.  Day and Night the views at Yosemite are excellent. 

Archived