Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lodestar Problem

HiloDon

Hi All,

I have experienced a problem with one of my Lodestars they may be of interest to LS owners. The USB connector separated from the circuit board. It apprears that it is just soldered to the board and mine looks to be possible cold soldered joints. The first indication was failure of the LS to connect to Lodestar Live. Then the connector completely broke away and is loose inside the LS body. My LS is less than one year old, so I am in process of getting it repaired under warranty, but I am concerned about the lack of strain relief on the USB connector. I did a home modification on my other LS to reduce the loading on the connector and also eliminate the need to push and pull the connector for each use session. Here is a picture of my crude strain relief system. If anyone has a better approach, please let me know. Any other comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Don

post-36930-0-52117000-1436210079_thumb.j

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, it's an X2c. I purchased it when they first came out last August. I have SN 006. Perhaps they have made some improvements since then, but I never heard anything about it. The old Lodestars had a problem with the guider connection and they improved that in the X2. My X2 mono is older and probably used more, and I have not had a problem with it so far. It could be just a bad solder joint, but having constant loading on a soldered connection cannot be a good thing.

Don

Just looking at your pic, I wonder if the loop in the cable was causing more strain than if you just left the USB cable hanging? BUT, that surely wasn't enough strain to make the connector break away from the circuit board by any stretch of the imagination.

I admit I did zero research on SX's warranty. Keep us posted.

Just looking at your pic, I wonder if the loop in the cable was causing more strain than if you just left the USB cable hanging? BUT, that surely wasn't enough strain to make the connector break away from the circuit board by any stretch of the imagination.

I admit I did zero research on SX's warranty. Keep us posted.

I think it's the cycling that causes the eventual failure.  My connector looks like it's cocked, but there isn't much load on it.  I worry more about the constant plugging and unplugging that puts reverse loading on it.  I'm afraid now to plug in the connector.  That's how the first one broke.  I'll do more research on this and contact SX, but it sounds like they have some kind of fix for this.

Don

I am wondering if I need to send my X2's back to OPT, or at least one of them, and request they re-ship when they receive a batch from SX that has the 'new' thru circuit board soldered USB connector rather than what I am assuming is a surface-mount soldered connector. After the connecter issues with the first Lodestar, you would have thought SX would have made the new connector bullet-proof.

Sorry to hear this Don. I had heard of the issue and tend to keep mine plugged in (with a rubber band in place of your tape), but I sometimes forget and unplug it. Do let us low how you get on with SX. Frustrating to be without it -- just as well you have the other one!

Also, to minimise potential strain during scope movement, I'm thinking of running the cable down the scope body to the top of the mount and then attaching an extender cable to run to the laptop from that point. 

Martin

Im an IT manager for a manufacturing company with over 20 in the technology field and I have seen a huge number of usb connected devices stop working over the years due to wear and tear on the usb port. The most common problem is when a device was intented to charge via usb and the device is used while charging. The smaller the usb port the more often you will have a problem. Micro usb is the worst and then mini usb and finallay usb a and b connectors all have the issue. Usb ports that are receased in the device are the most durable. If you can see the metal part of the usb cable you and you might be actively moving the cable it should be secured. The picture looks good as long as the loop doesnt strain the port. I would go so far as to add a small metal splint to the setup attached to the camera and cable that extends twice as long as the finished usb plug.

Just my 2 bits.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk

Totally agree with Madperk - you can include PCB power connectors to laptops/devices too

Do as above and tape the cable from the camera in a loop using short cable possible to act as a cable restraint(perm fix). Then use something like this http://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapters-c1/usb-c449/usb-2-0-c450/usb-adapter-usb-a-female-to-a-female-coupler-p6022/s6164?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=usb-adapter-usb-a-female-to-a-female-coupler-71230&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=CPa50pTIy8YCFYLJtAodKBYPlg

to couple the USB cables together - that way the coupler/cable may wear but the camera connection will stay ok

But spending £400  but you get a cheap/weak cable  connection comes under "not fit for purpose" IMHO

Hope you guys wjho have problems get sorted.

Mad perk and Stash,

Thanks for the suggestions. The connection is a USB mini. I heard back from SX and they are aware of the problem and have a fix. The original USB mini jack was just surface mounted to the circuit board with soldering. The upgrade jack uses prongs that go through holes in the board.

Don

My new Lodestar X2 Mono appears to have arrived DOA. I spent a few hours trying to get it to work yesterday using multiple PC's and USB cables, but it is not recognized. Not sure if its a USB connector issue or something else. The X2 Color didn't have any issues. It is going back to OPT for exchange, fingers crossed they will cross-ship a replacement.

While I didn't get the planned X2 Mono first light as I had planned yesterday evening, I did have an enjoyable session with the X2 Color attached to the C8 at f/3.3.

Greg and Brandon,

I ordered two of the same and saw that it would cover the guider port. I didn't see one that went in the opposite direction, but I did see some that went to the side. If you have no need for the guider port, I think Brandon's setup is the best because it gives more room to make the bend.

Don

• 1 month later...

Just an update.

I received my repaired X2c this past week. Thanks to Terry at SX for the repair and picking up the shipping costs.

Anyone looking to buy a new Lodestar should check with the seller to ensure getting one with the latest fix for the USB Jack. I would also recommend rigging up a strain relief for the USB cable. Based on the helpful suggestions from others, here's what I ended up with on my two Lodestars.

post-36930-0-93585800-1440267984.jpg

post-36930-0-66688200-1440268010.jpg

Don

You can try what I did and now will do with my new Loadstar. I bought a small length of 30 mm I.D. thin wall stainless steel pipe, about 70 mm long. I then ground out a section from one side to the end so that it resembled a tube with a length of metal sticking out from the end. You can bend the metal support to shape to fit the USB plug when fitted. I then cut a slot in the opposit side of the tube. Filed it smooth and spread the tube slightly. It then just is spring fitted over the end of the Loadstar with the metal taper sticking out from the end of the Loadstar by the USB socket. The taper of metal is used to support the USB plug and wire by a couple of zip locks. The USB lead is then bent back and zip locked to the Loadstar body. There is now no load on the socket.

Derek

Archived