Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

GoPro

rowan46

This is not my first stupid Question and I have no doubt it will not be my last but could a GoPro be used for planetary imaging? I am trying to think of ways to do planetary imaging without a laptop or is there a webcam that could be hooked up to a small tablet? I am pretty much at my limit with what I can carry.

I have been looking at cycle helmet cams, and i think this could be hooked up to a decent tablet, the camera has a cover on the rear that hides an AV out port and is rechargeable 

I suppose in theory it is possible, but the standard approach to planetary modification of a webcam starts by ripping the lens of (OK, unscrewing it, as a rule). I am not sure that would work with a GoPro. You could try afocal imaging of course, but some adapter would be needed. I am not sure about the compression on the GoPro, but you would essentially want that to be switched off.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320818961855?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

here is a link to the camera i had in mind, it looks like the front might unscrew/rip of to allow a 12mm threaded nosepiece to go on.

sounds like some one has to spend £30 to find out

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320818961855?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

here is a link to the camera i had in mind, it looks like the front might unscrew/rip of to allow a 12mm threaded nosepiece to go on.

sounds like some one has to spend £30 to find out

That does look interesting I need to figure out a way of focussing that doesn't involve me using a soldering iron or having to reprogram. thankyou it does open up avenues of investigation

Archived