Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TS Skyfinder V Red Dot Finder to be avoided

I find that the TS Skyfinder V red dot finder from Teleskop-Service recently purchased is only appropriate for daytime use. At night. even on the least bright setting the green or red dot is extremely bright and therefore overpowers even bright celestial objects making it impossible to see them in the glare. There is also an annoying reflection of the dot making it even more difficult to find an object. I thought purchasers should know these things for future reference.

With the exception of the Telrad and the Rigel Quikfinder, all the RDF and MRF finders that I've used are a bit too bright even at their lowest setting. I suspect this is because they originated as rifle sights for daytime use wheras the Telrad and Quickfinder were developed for astronomers, by astronomers.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the smallest scope a Rigel ot Telrad can be used on please ? Recently got my first telescope (took 3 years, lol), a Skywatcher Heritage 90 Virtuoso and cannot get anywhere trying to use the red dot finder. Wondering if the Rigel would be too big for that scope? I'm pretty sure a Telrad would be as it is a small telescope but not sure if could get away with a rigel.

What is the smallest scope a Rigel ot Telrad can be used on please ? Recently got my first telescope (took 3 years, lol), a Skywatcher Heritage 90 Virtuoso and cannot get anywhere trying to use the red dot finder. Wondering if the Rigel would be too big for that scope? I'm pretty sure a Telrad would be as it is a small telescope but not sure if could get away with a rigel.

I've used a rigel on a small 80mm short tube achro, probably smaller than the heritage with no problem at all... nothing to lose here I think by using one on a virtuoso..

Although using any kind of straight through on a table top mount like that might need some mandatory yoga lessons..

Ta

Fozzie

I now find a Celestron Red dot star pointer unbeatable for my set-up ( star alignment) ; after that I use a Celestron 9x50 RAF................for me, the perfect combination.  :smiley:

I go through button cells with ease. Once they expire sufficiently to not operate a calculator or photo meter, I put them into the RDF. I then find the dot intensity is about right and they still last for hours.

Archived