SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stellarium vs apps

Hi, what's the consensus on using Stellarium on a laptop vs an app such as SkySafari on an iOS device as assistance when observing (based on both having a wireless connection) - as you may guess i'm mac all the way...

My scope (4" refractor 500mm FL) lends itself to DSOs which may have an influence on which is best

You just need to use the application you prefer the most on whatever format or device of your choosing.

The only  issues  I have with portable technology is the  image / screen brightness, their just too bright?

I take a mental image of what I want to see before the session, then go out looking. If I look at a screen or an APP on my HTC, even if its using the RED sky mode, I just feels its too bright for my eyes when I'm trying to keep my pupils dark adapted?

I agree with Charic. When I'm searching for faint deep sky objects I'd find a mobile screen just to bright to have around. Even the face of my digital watch seems glaring when it's really dark !

I've recently been given a copy of the Sky & Telescopes Pocket Sky Atlas and find it a really good guide to finding DSO's. I use a very dim red torch to read it - it's a printed thing you see :smiley:

Thanks both, i tend to prefer old-school if possible (books over kindle every time) - i'll pick up a copy of Sky & Telescopes Pocket Sky Atlas as suggested (re torch next!)

I use a number of sky atlases including the pocket one mentioned above and several more detailed ones. However, I've recently bought SkySafari Pro 4 for my Samsung tablet, and have found that it is ok in the dark (using the night setting) with additionally a sheet of dark red acetate across the screen to dim it a bit more.

Chris

They even do luminous Planisphere`s now, but they still need charging with bright light before hand.

I laugh at John`s  watch but I can see what`s on the  the floor and read  books with  the lume  if using  my  Seiko `Orange Monster` 

Archived