Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Quark Issues?

step_hen

I received a second hand quark recently and have had three days of good weather to test it out, and have been really frustrated by it! I have been using it side by side with my PST, in either a 66ED or 120ED, and neither have been able to compare with the views the PST is giving me. Surely that can’t be right- from what I have seen and read the views in the quark should better the PST?

I have tried all the tuning position options, waiting for it to turn green, played with polarisers to adjust the contrast and tried various eyepieces, and made sure everything in the optical train is square and tight. The image in the quark is of a mostly flat, blank, featureless disk, apart from a few sunspots akin to a white light image. With the tuner four- five steps counterclockwise I start to get some faint surface detail and a hint of prominences, but nothing like the view in the PST which is showing me bright prominences, filaments, plage areas and lovely surface details around the active areas without needing to adjust the tuning. I can’t think of anything else to try, any suggestions for me?

Stephen

Stephen,

That does not sound right at all. There have been a couple of reports of Quarks that have had this very same symptom.

Are you still in contact with the person you purchased the Quark off ?  It sounds like it needs returning to Daystar for analysis and I am not sure if the warranty is transferable.

Hi Stephen,

I've not done a direct side by side, but I sold a very good PST and used a Quark soon afterwards.

My immediate impression was that a Quark, even in a 60mm scope was significantly better than a PST in all areas. I did not have to alter the tuning, and still normally leave it on the centre setting. The prominences are lovely and surface detail also stunning when conditions are good. In a 120ED there is just no comparison.

Without making any accusations, it would appear that you bought a poor unit from someone who was rightly unimpressed with it. To me, the original buyer should have returned it to their supplier rather than pass it on to someone else, that seems unfair.

I would do all you can to get it checked out by the original supplier and if possible fixed under warranty. I have heard of heaters not functioning which would explain the view totally lacking in detail. I sometimes view through mine without it powered up, just to check it reaches focus with a particular eyepiece combination and the view is similar to a basic white light setup, although it's red!

I hope you get sorted. Don't be fobbed off, go directly to Daystar if you need to. This link has more information, and it actually states that ANY Quark can be returned for inspection and repair under warranty if necessary.

http://www.daystarfilters.com/Quark/QuarkUniformity.shtml

Good luck!

Stu

This thread may be interesting to you....

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?/topic/246071-Cancelled-Quark-Order/page__view__findpost__p__2675557

Within it, there is a link to a Daystar site showing the variability of acceptable standards. If yours is not as good as any of these then I reckon you should be able to get it replaced or repaired under warranty.

http://www.daystarfilters.com/Quark/WidescreenTests.shtml

I must say that I would not be satisfied with the poorer ones of these, mine seems very good. Although it does have some non uniformity to it the detail is very good.

Thanks Stu, i had seen those posts, and yes, I'm not getting anywhere near the detail in those images. Its more, like you say, of a red tinted white light view, with just a hint of detail at the extreme counter clockwise tuning limit.

Yes, I'm sorry to say Stephen, but I think you've been sold a dud. You need to get in contact with the seller as soon as possible.

Yes, agreed. The seller should have been up front with you about the performance, which is out of Daystar's spec by the sounds of it. It is pretty poor show to sell one on in this condition.

Worst case, if they won't take it back, I would go to Daystar direct or the supplier used by your seller if they will let you know.

Can't really add much other than I hope you are able to get it sorted Stephen. I'm sure given Daystars track record with QC on Quarks so far they will give it the once over for you if you have no luck with the previous owner.

Archived