Narrowband

What Scope With A Quark?

LukeSkywatcher

I am seriously impressed with the Quark imaging system. I would really love to have one. Its something i'd like to buy for next Spring/Summer. 

I only have a 70mm Celestron Travelscope that may be the one to use with the Quark?. I use the same scope with a Hershel Wedge right now, Would the same scope be capable with a Quark?. 

Paul

I am seriously impressed with the Quark imaging system. I would really love to have one. Its something i'd like to buy for next Spring/Summer. 

I only have a 70mm Celestron Travelscope that may be the one to use with the Quark?. I use the same scope with a Hershel Wedge right now, Would the same scope be capable with a Quark?. 

Paul

I can't see why not Paul, I don't know much about that scope but it's 400mm FL will help with full disc captures depending on the ccd you image with, unless it's just for visual.

That's the beauty of the Q, you already have a frac & want to do serious solar work, well now you can.

You shouldn't need the IR/UV filter either as your under the 80mm mark, if it was me I would probably still use one if you have it though, better safe than sorry.

If you do buy one please please please do test out the tuner, find YOUR best setting for your kit, don't just leave it on the central setting & think 'well it takes too long to get up to temp', it doesn't, it's like a few minutes max & well worth it.

Imaging today I ran another t est & I have now found I feel my optimum setting of 2 clicks forwards.

Here's a shot from earlier, AR2376, 100 from 500 taken with no flat frame.

post-11075-0-80433500-1436033120.png

Good luck if you do buy one & your thoughts when you first use it.

depending on the ccd you image with, unless it's just for visual.

I thought a Quark did both in one go..............both imaging and visual.

I am under the illusion that i simply put a Quark EP into my scope and start imaging the Sun because it is plugged in to my laptop.

I want both visual and imaging. 

depending on the ccd you image with, unless it's just for visual.

I thought a Quark did both in one go..............both imaging and visual.

I am under the illusion that i simply put a Quark EP into my scope and start imaging the Sun because it is plugged in to my laptop.

I want both visual and imaging. 

You misunderstood me, it is for both.

So a Quark (basic model) is for both visual and imaging?. You scared me when you mentioned a CCD was also needed in conjunction with a Quark (thats how i read your comment).

I guess my Q is............can i buy a bog standard Quark,hook it it to my 70mm Travelscope and laptop and view/image the Sun like i have seen here on SGL?

It's a filter unit that can be used with either an eyepiece or a camera. You cannot hook it up to a laptop (except to provide power for the filter) and view the Sun on the laptop without using a camera.

Regards, AlanP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a filter unit that can be used with either an eyepiece or a camera. You cannot hook it up to a laptop (except to provide power for the filter) and view the Sun on the laptop without using a camera.

Regards, AlanP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So for purely visual..............what do i need to do?...............just buy it as is?. Is the visual view as good as the photgraphic?

So for purely visual..............what do i need to do?...............just buy it as is?. Is the visual view as good as the photgraphic?

Yes you just buy one, put a suitable EP in & off you go, you may still need to adjust the tuner to get the best possible view but you need nothing else.

IF you do decide to image you get the necessary power + some adapters as a PC or laptop USB will not supply enough juice.

I have never looked through mine since I have owned one, all I do is visual & you can see why looking at the test image I posted above.

Hope that helps.

you may still need to adjust the tuner to get the best possible view

Tuner?

Paul may I suggest you look at Daystar's website as it will explain everything you need to know.

Archived