Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Debating which 12" dobsonian (The age old topic)

I've read quite a few posts (some more then 6 years old) about which brands to go with.

I have narrowed things down to my top 3: 

Skywatcher 300p (likely flextube)

Meade Lightbridge

Orion XT12I 

The the XT12 and SW are slightly faster then the LB, but I have my doubts on the noticeable difference. 

Honestly there doesn't seem to be many other options on the market. 

I would love to hear from everyone on their take as to the pros and cons of each. 

Also if you have any other suggestions please feel free to chime in. 

As far as portability goes, I'm 6'2 and athletic, got a hatchback that will fit 6' x 2' tube and has plenty of space left for shorter things. 

My apologies if this topic has been done to death  :grin:

After a few well documented (and mostly optional) mods, I was very happy with the practicality, mechanics and optics of my 300p flextube.  It use to travel in a small hatchback very comfortably. I had also purchased the shroud, which stays on. 

Hi, I am in a very similar position to you at the moment and trying to pick my next scope out. I shall be looking forward to replies with interest! I know you have narrowed it down, but I have been looking at the revelation Dobs too as they seem to have good parts fitted as standard. I see you are U.S. based so look at the Zhumell range (Revelation, Zhumell, GSO are all the same from what I can make out. I think they are the same optics as the lightbridge). They seem to be good valve for money.

I am edging toward an ES scope myself for portability at the moment......

There is an interesting thread here from an SGL member on the ES 12" dobsonian:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/214494-explore-scientific-305mm-12-ultra-light-dobsonian/

I can't understand why ES designed them with the focuser sticking straight out of the side ?

I've owned a 12" Meade Lightbridge and used quite a few Skywatcher 12" dobs. I'd go for a Skywatcher if I was in the market for a 12" shinese dob now. My 12" Orion Optics based dob is a lot lighter then either the Meade or Skywatcher offerings though. Lighter than the ES too :smiley:

I've been reading a few good things about the Discovery scopes, like this one: 

http://www.optcorp.com/discovery-12-5-f-5-premium-dhq-split-tube-dobsonian-telescope.html

Honestly I'm getting that whole fever thing looking at some 14 inchers thinking I can just stay close to the car   :grin:

or use a wagon... (16 might be overkill for a firsty) 

The ES gives me some fragile vibes, although I'm sure that frame is very robust in person. 

Well I'm sure whatever scope you go for you're going to have a blast - you hear very few people on here saying they'r e dissatisfied with their 12" dob, whatever the brand.

I suppose it comes down to what you want to use it for and budget.

I love my Revelation (or Zhummel for US ears) 12". My real interest is in deep sky and it's marvellous for that. Optically it's fine, and limited more by my lazy collimation than by its optics. The views are sensational in my view, but I've never had the luxury of looking through, say, an OO UK 12". I went for this because it was just incredible bang for buck, and lighter than the Flextube. I also wanted fully manual, for the authentic vinyl analogue experience.

Folks on here were very helpful with my choice. Whatever you chose, you're in for a fantastic autumn and winter!!

for US people its no brainer:ZAMBUTO!

best mirror makers you can find.WIll cost you a bit of money,but quality of those mirrors are simply legendary. :D

I meant to say vendors for scopes.

lol I thought I had a decent budget... not.. even... close.. 

Are you considering the 2nd hand market? With the amount of premium scopes sold in the states, I wonder if you could really pick up a gem of a bargain eg a 12.5" Obsession/Teeter/Portaball/Telekit...

Archived