SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQ-2 Altitude Bolt Holding Power

DorsetBlue

Just got an EQ-2 mount (yesterday evening) but the bolt holding the mount in place in Altitude keeps slipping (and I am doing this bolt up damn tight) and I keep losing my polar alignment.  I have not had a chance to inspect the mechanical operation of this bolt yet to see if I can figure out an improvement, so I was wondering if there is a well known mod for this bolt?

Just got an EQ-2 mount (yesterday evening) but the bolt holding the mount in place in Altitude keeps slipping (and I am doing this bolt up damn tight) and I keep losing my polar alignment.  I have not had a chance to inspect the mechanical operation of this bolt yet to see if I can figure out an improvement, so I was wondering if there is a well known mod for this bolt?

Tightening the bolt up too much can cause problems, it is possible to strip the thread in the mount if too much pressure is applied to the bolt.

Which bolt are you referring to? There's generally 2 bolts - the adjusting bolt and the locking bolt. The adjusting bolt pushes the mount up, with the weight of the mount following it down when it is wound out. The locking bolt just secures it in place.

webtubbs, I see what I think you are referring to in the manual. The second t-bar is not given a name.  WIll look at it again when I get home, could be beginners user error - I will let you know.

Archived