Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello everyone!

Area512003

Hi there.

Just wanted to say hello to all forum members.

I have just purchased a Skywatcher Explorer 130P and have been amazed by the views of the moon this week.

I have decided to purchase a better Barlow Lens - OSTARA Achromatic 3x Barlow and the appropriate fittings for my DSLR to take shots.

Could someone please advise me on better quality eyepieces (around £40-£50) to see Jupiter,Saturn, Mars and Venus? 

Also, are there any astronomy clubs nearby post code LS23 ...?

Thank you for your time :)

Hi Area512003 and welcome to SGL, you may find that your 3x Barlow may only be used with your low power eye pieces, the seeing has to be exceptional in this country to see much above 35x per inch of aperture, which takes you to not much above 180x. If you have not yet placed an order for the lens, you may wish to put you idea on hold until you can research things a little more.

BST eye pieces seem to be very popular as an upgrade, but I am afraid I have no knowledge of them and will leave others to advise you on this.

Enjoy your new scope and the forum :)

Clubs: http://www.astronomyclubs.co.uk/Clubs/Default.aspx?CountyId=75

Easier to let you sort out where you want to consider.

130P is f/5 so 650mm Fl.

As mentioned consider the BST Starguiders, £49, STL - 8mm will give 81x which is OK for Jupiter but a bit low for Saturn.

Saturn need a bit more so you might need to consider the 5mm, 130x.

Would like to suggest a 6mm, 108x, but the good 6mm is the WO planetary and that costs more then £50.

There is a club at York, if I recall they meet twice a month ans you seem to be close to a reasonable road, A64, to get to York, http://yorkastro.org.uk/

Venus will always be a sort of fuzzy ball, it is 100% cloud covered and in effect all we see is the top of the cloud layer.

Mars is not around at present and you will need more magnification then the 130P will comfortably deliver in terms of useasble magnification to see anything. Mars will remain as a small red disk, to see anything it seems that magnification in the region of 250x and above is required, I would not expect the 130P to deliver anything above 180x. Ignore the Maximum Magnification claims.

Hi and welcome to SGL.

The suggestion from John, to try BST Starguiders is sound advice and will serve you well. These eyepieces have a 60 deg Fov and are sharp across the field,

and cost about £49 each.My first upgrades from stock eyepieces were these and I used them quite happily for a couple of years.

It is possible to buy them from AB&S for about £35 and will usually be in excellent condition, great value.

The 12mm and 18mm are particularly good :smiley:

Hi, 

BSTs were most recommended lenses to use in that budget when I first asked so they seem highly praised upgrades.

How many EPs are you looking for?

If you're planning on getting 3 or so it might be worth looking into a good quality zoom EP? The Baader Hyperion MKIIIs are around £180 and you get 8, 12, 16, 20 & 24mm functions with everything in-between. In addition they do a barlow for around £75 to give you extra magnifications

I believe FLO have got an offer on for the Zoom + Barlow set so if you've not purchased your 3X barlow yet or you have option for a refund before dispatch then this might be a good alternative? 

Either way, enjoy your new scope and welcome to the forum! 

Regards,

James 

Hi and Welcome to SGL!

I upgraded my standard eyepieces to the GSO Plossls. They give surprisingly good views for the money (~£30) and are very well built. I got the 32mm and the 9mm. I use the 32mm more and I often couple it with my 2x Barlow. This could be worth a try with your set up.

As others have said, be carful not to overdo the magnification with the 3x Barlow - you will lose the crispness of the views and the mount will not be able to keep the telescope steady enough.

Hope this helps.

Archived