SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Light pollution map to pick a spot?

I've been browsing around for good spots to head out on the weekends and do some observing however I'm curious how far I should go for clarity.

I put up a couple pictures of my area and how the light pollution looks,

Does the environment around me also make a big difference? IE: heavily forested vs near a large lake? 

If you have links to helpful articles please link it! 

post-45602-0-91526200-1435884415_thumb.j

post-45602-0-18382800-1435884512_thumb.j

I have always found that lakes create mist at various times of the night, fogging up eyepieces and mirrors/lenses a bit quickly. So I avoid them where possible. Trees are ok so long as you're in a wide clearing - they can sometimes shield any distant white light.

But 360 degree views will give you more time for viewing objects as they rise - traverse the whole sky - then set. It's usually a compromise how long you're prepared to wait for an object to come up over the trees - and the views do improve the higher an object is cos you're looking through less atmosphere than near the horizon. But you will sometimes want to catch objects that only "blip" over the horizon for an hour or so.

The main thing is you'll see more the darker your observing site is - but ensure you're safe and comfortable. I'm not familiar with your area - but good luck and have fun. :)

You want a good view to the south, which is where objects rise highest. So you want no light dome on the southern horizon, and the least obstruction. From your maps it appears you won't have light domes but may have obscuring hills. Obstruction in other directions is not an issue as long as you can see everything from Polaris to the southern horizon (i.e. the meridian). Nearby obstructions (e.g. trees) can offer shielding from light domes and shelter from wind. I'd go in daytime and check out the topography, driving time, ease of parking, etc. I'd take a compass and concentrate on the southerly view.

Good call from acey in post # 5, LP maps are useful, but any proposed sites need to be checked out in daylight, for access, is it on private land, any very local lights, if it's near a campsite some may wonder what you're up to at night, and likely to be lights from cars & tents etc.  And remote sites could be a "lovers lane".

Not trying to put you off at all, hope you find somewhere and enjoy it, Ed.

Honestly - I think you're going to be ok Alex. Here in the UK it's quite hard nowadays to find a decent dark site and avoid light domes - what with all the major cities being not a lot more than 30-40 miles apart and loads of town and villages in between. You're dead lucky to have vast open spaces like that - it's really not gonna be a problem for you. :)

Agree with Kim in the post above...Even where I am, light domes are apparent.  :(

Alex, that southern corridor looks incredible, no LP for hundreds of miles! Portland might be a bit of a pain, though.

As with bugs...yep, they will eat you alive...no-see-ums being the worst. Just slather yourself in insect repellant, face, neck, ears - the cold weather gear you will need as temps drop will protect the rest of your body.

Biting bugs are worse an hour before sunset with activity diminishing, but not completely as temps drop. Fortunately, I have breezy hilltops to go to to avoid 'em...

How big of an issue are flying bugs? 

I recognise that place in your pic in post #7,  when I was there the bugs where INDUSTRIAL SIZE.

Only kidding :grin: it looks great, I'm not envious, just VERY envious :Envy: , have a great time, Ed.

I was just browsing SGL when I came across this thread. That made me realise i was still going to the local playground whenever it was clear! I was wondering where I could find an LP like the one in post #8 of the whole uk?

Thanks

Well, the image below has two lines indicating the equivalent distance between the outskirts of Seattle and the lake just below Burns, in Alex's image....  :D (around 280 miles as the crow flies)

Hmmm, fair bit of LP in the way?

Solution...move to the eastern part of the US.. :D

post-3767-0-31389600-1436093462.jpg

You just have to watch out for Sasquatch, he might try to take your jerky. (seriously though sitting out in a semi-remote mountain region at night, alone, without being able to carry my piece due to age makes me feel vulnerable) 

I had to verify Beulah's image, that really puts things in perspective. I never realized how much space we have. (oh and I think you meant western  :tongue:

This is the map we are using btw: http://www.lightpollutionmap.info/ 

You just have to watch out for Sasquatch, he might try to take your jerky. (seriously though sitting out in a semi-remote mountain region at night, alone, without being able to carry my piece due to age makes me feel vulnerable) 

I had to verify Beulah's image, that really puts things in perspective. I never realized how much space we have. (oh and I think you meant western  :tongue:

This is the map we are using btw: http://www.lightpollutionmap.info/ 

Yep, you have a lot of space! Western space!! :D

Archived