Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lovejoy still amazing

Had another good look at comet Lovejoy tonight in my 16 inch scope...…despite a full moon and only nautical darkness...

Still very evident and easy with direct vision now off the end of Ursa minor, I would still say its between mag 12 and 13.[emoji1]

Its travelling away from us at just under 60000 mph and now 2.5 times as far away from the earth than we are from the sun or 236 million miles!

So how long will we still be able to see it? Its got another 4000 years to go before it reaches its furthest from the sun.

Mark

Sent from my Q102 using Tapatalk

Mark,

Many thanks, I got the 18 inch on it last night but I couldn't make it out in the 60mm finder even though it is really dark where I live. I found it with the aid of your little charts you posted and had to memorize the star positions. It was not as hard as i thought with the 31mm Nagler giving a fairly large FOV for a biggish scope, I dare say with these type of scopes we will be able to see it for a while longer.

I have the tracking data of the comet on my obsevratory laptop but the roof gets in the way a bit in that part of the sky at reasonable times, for me to see it with the LX I would have to stay up late, that and getting up at 05.30 do not go hand in hand well.

alan

Archived