Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron 8-24mm Zoom vs. Seben 8-24mm Zoom?

Raya K

I am fairly inexperienced with different kinds of eyepieces. Would appreciate someone's expert opinion on this. Is Celestron's 8-24 zoom better than Seben's 8-24? Thanks.

I agree with Damian. I suspect they and quite a few other branded zooms are the same item from the same factory. Your will also see a 7mm - 21mm zoom for sale even cheaper but there seems to be a consistent view that those are not as good as the 8mm - 24mm ones.

One thing you will notice from the above thread in Damian's post is that these eyepieces work better in some scope types than others. This is why it would be useful in your eyepiece threads to know which scope, or scopes, you are going to use the eyepieces with.

I agree with Damian. I suspect they and quite a few other branded zooms are the same item from the same factory. Your will also see a 7mm - 21mm zoom for sale even cheaper but there seems to be a consistent view that those are not as good as the 8mm - 24mm ones.

One thing you will notice from the above thread in Damian's post is that these eyepieces work better in some scope types than others. This is why it would be useful in your eyepiece threads to know which scope, or scopes, you are going to use the eyepieces with.

I have a 90mm refractor. Will that change anything?

I have the 8-24 Seben and Celestron unit, they are identical apart from branding. I use them in a binoviewer for Ha solar observing with excellent results. I also have the cheaper 7.5-21 Seben which is disappointing by comparison.   :smiley: 

@Raya,

The longer fl the better with this ep!, the skywatcher 90mm is f10. You should be fine anywhere from F7 and above. The Lower the focal ratio the more demanding the telescope is of the eyepieces that you use..

Archived