Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Starsense Accessory Review S

Hi Folks, 

I recently purchased the Celestron Starsense Accessory (SSA) and thought I'd pass on my thoughts and observations to anyone that was interested in reading or perhaps contemplating a purchase. 

Firstly I decided to buy the SSA for 3 main reasons; firstly with the nights being both limited and late arriving and the fact that I'm up relatively early in the morning my time in the dark is somewhat precious to me; the SSA provides accurate and precise alignment in under 3 minutes. Secondly, I plan to purchase a Hyperstar in which the guiding will be beneficial to me. Finally my scope is coming with me to visit a friend and his son over on the Isle of Wight who I'm sure just want to get 'stuck in'.

The SSA takes the place of (or in addition to) your finderscope. All the appropriate attachments are included, the base which is solid metal fits securely onto the OTA. The whole product is weighty and feels of a high build quality, I was surprised at how well made this item felt. The SSA slots onto the included base and can be removed or attached in a few seconds with 2 ergonomically designed thumb screws. It took me roughly 5 minutes to attach the SSA to my scope.

The SSA comes with a new hand controller to replace the old Nexstar+ which has the software built in, of course retaining existing functioning of your previous hand controller. 

Setup: I got my scope outside around 10pm, Entered time and date and chose the 'auto align' setting. The scope instantly started scanning the sky. In around 2-3 minutes the alignment was complete. From this you need to calibrate the camera to ensure the chosen object is in the centre of a high powered EP. This is internally adjusted by the camera itself. All you need to do is chose a bright star, the scope will goto said star and pressing align again automatically slows slew speed and you can centre your object in a low powered EP, switch to an 8mm for example and centre the star. Confirm this change and the SSA reboots with saved settings (This step only needs to be performed the first time you use the SSA). This took around 15 minutes as the instruction manual was inaccurate, however nothing major it's easy to work out when to press 'enter' instead of 'align' or vice versa.

Accuracy: The hand controller lets you add multiple calibration stars for greater accuracy however every object I applied on the basic auto set up was slap-bang in the middle of my EP. Even double clusters that my scope struggles to fit a 40mm EP without a focal reducer is centred between the two clusters. 

Now my set up consists of moving the scope outside, entering time and date in the hand controller, pressing align, going to fetch my accessories and the scope is ready. Pure bliss. I understand this may be deemed as a lazy astronomers tool and perhaps it is to some respect however the ease of the process is simply fantastic with a greater accuracy than I've ever been able to achieve with the scopes native alignment. 

Pros: 
-Under 3 minute set up with minimal user input 
-Easy to attach and use
-Works on EQ & Alt-Az mounts
-Aligns shortly after sunset even when no stars are visible (Trust me, it really does)
-Will automatically re-position given any obstructions i.e. Houses/walls etc...
-Works even when cloudy (I am yet to put this in practice however I have read user reports stating this)
-Can remember unobstructed sections of the sky that you want to align on via save/load function 
-Plenty of alignment modes to chose from
-Easily removable and re-attachable without losing it's central calibration
-Only time & date is required to set up

Cons:
-Instruction manual isn't 100% accurate 
-May require updated firmware depending on what batch the device is sent from (Will still work straight out of the box)
-Not CURRENTLY compatible with Skyportal - I have contacted Celestron and an update is on its way.
-Does not come with 2 longer screws to attach to your OTA (I had spare longer screws) however some might need to swap entirely for finderscope or order new screws

I would thoroughly recommend this device, however if you're set in your ways of controlling your scope via Skyportal then I'd wait a few months for the update.

Regards,

James  

Just read up - plate solving...! The info on FLO says not yet compatible with evolution - wrong I guess?

On a scale of 1 to 10 how much easier than the evolution sky align process aligning to 3 stars?

Also can you pm me with price and where you got yours?

With me, it's an absolute 10 out of 10. 

SSA is compatible with the Evo, works a treat for me!

*However* at the moment you must use the supplied hand controller to control the scope. The hand controller does not currently communicate with the Skyportal app we use. (Which is a shame and I was almost swayed against getting the SSA altogether), I E-Mailed Celestron and they have confirmed that an update is coming (no time-frame really given). With this info I thought I'd buy it, have a play so I know how to use it when the update does land. However now I think most of my use is going to be through Hand controller + SSA

After you've set up for the first time it's as simple as turning the mount on, pressing 'align', pressing 'enter' on 'auto align', adjusting the time and date and pressing 'enter' again. <3 minutes later the scope is fully aligned and reading to use.

I'll PM you now mate :)  

Do you have to enter location,time and date each time it is used?Also you appear to have obtained a sample from a batch ready to use with Evolution scopes so may I ask your supplier?

Many thanks.

Yes and no, once you start up the first thing you do is press 'auto-align' if that's your preferred setting, it will then prompt you for date and time, enter this and press 'enter' and the SSA does the rest. (Location, Lat/long is not required) That's the only human input the camera needs. I bought mine from http://www.wexphotographic.com/

Regards,

James 

• 7 months later...

Hi Sonic

having read your write up and as I am contemplating a 6 inch alt az as a portable scope could you help me chose? and yes I intend to do some short exposure pics (30 secs or so) as well as observing would be my intended use.

I currently have an advanced VX with a 9.25 tube in a pulsar observatory but rarely get the use I intended as I am a bit of a fair weather observer and the cold and wet gets into my bones.

So I have been tinkering with the idea of a small scope that can be moved and setup quickly but can also be used with the Skyportal app remotely (indoors!) Plan to use a camranger on a canon and control the scope with the app. Yep sounds lazy but then I like things really simple and although the advanced VX is a great mount try using the polarscope in the dark, you need to be a contortionist with infra red eyesight! I have the Skyportal accessory fitted and prefer it to the hand controller.

So having done some research and have had mixed information from Celestron three scopes emerge as front runners: The Evolution, the Nexstar or the Skyprogidy. If I buy the Nexstar or Evolution I would need to buy the Starsence accessory which as you mentioned comes with a separate hand controller. The one piece of information I really need is this:

Can I set up any of these scopes with the starsence system and then use the WiFi connection with the app on a tablet or pc to control the scope? If you go to the Celestron site the Evolution is shown without the starsence as an accessory but you are saying it works ok?.

Of course I will have to sell this idea to my wife who I am sure will understand!

On 01/07/2015 at 13:58, Sonicfishcake42 said:

Hi Folks, 

I recently purchased the Celestron Starsense Accessory (SSA) and thought I'd pass on my thoughts and observations to anyone that was interested in reading or perhaps contemplating a purchase. 

James - a very helpful review.  I reckon I'd like an SSA, but after spending as much again on accessories as the 'scope cost, the wife isn't having it!

My Celestron Nexstar is easy to align, then slews in with reasonable accuracy so I can check where I am through the 9x50 finder, then use the EP.  So strictly I don't suppose I need one.  Would you say the main advantages are (1) precision of location of targets, (2) speed of getting to targets?

Cheers,

Doug.

• 2 months later...

I agonised over StarSense, SkySync GPS, and Skyportal WiFi Module.  Got the latter, and love it!  Alignment and GoTo are easy and accurate.

StarSense not needed now because alignment with Skyportal is quick and easy, and there's no additional item attached to the OTA.

SkySync not needed now because the date, time, and location are all obtained from the GPS on the tablet with the Skyportal app.

Only reservation is that S/P doesn't seem to show Messier objects - they have to be found through the database.  (Unless I'm doing something wrong!)

Doug.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/cpc-gps-series/celestron-cpc-925-gps-xlt.html Ever thought about this.

Built in GPS. Way better scope. Ok , no built in battery. Just a thought.

1 hour ago, TJExcalibur said:

Many thanks. I am hopefully getting the Celestron Evo 9.25 but became confused with all the extras you could get. That is great news for me, less clutter and set up time is always better.

5 hours ago, TJExcalibur said:

Many thanks. I am hopefully getting the Celestron Evo 9.25 but became confused with all the extras you could get. That is great news for me, less clutter and set up time is always better.

Glad to help.  Setting up is dead easy now - I just level the 'scope, then go through the three-star alignment.  You don't even have to know their names.  It doesn't take long, and soon becomes second nature.

The 9.25 Evo is a nice instrument.  I see it has built-in WiFi, so all you'll have to do is get the Skyportal app on your tablet!

Have fun!

Doug.

7 hours ago, Grotemobile said:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/cpc-gps-series/celestron-cpc-925-gps-xlt.html Ever thought about this.

Built in GPS. Way better scope. Ok , no built in battery. Just a thought.

Yet another to consider. I have a list with size weight etc with the pros and cons of each in my opinion. I am not into photography so that helps in making a decision. I like the dual fork so will add to the list but as yet unable to see why it is way better.

Thanks

• 4 months later...

I have read that the Starsense is now fully supported by SkySafari Pro 5 (Celestron SkyPortals big brother) and Cestron Wifi compatible scopes (like the Evolution Range).  I checked in the app, and it gives full instructions on how to use it with Starsense and Celestron Wifi.  This is a dream solution and will make my viewing experience so much better.  I plan on getting a Starsense this month.  
As many have said, it can be very difficult performing 3 star alignment when your view is obstructed or limited and you have to align with stars like Vega or Deneb when they are directly overhead and you have to lie on your back to use the RDF.  Also, if what has been reported that it can align even before stars are fully visible will make this ideal for me.

Archived