Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What is the planet above Venus right now.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No I could see jupitar covering Venus, I could see Venus as a crescent because of jupitar in front of it, if that was jupitar above I would of seen its moons with no problem, it was a planet for sure but I think I'm never going to find out what it was.

I have star walk app on my iPad but there was nothing on my sky walk app, was not a star and was not jupitar for sure.

Thanks for the reply tho buddy and thanks reading my post, take care

No I could see jupitar covering Venus, I could see Venus as a crescent because of jupitar in front of it, if that was jupitar above I would of seen its moons with no problem, it was a planet for sure but I think I'm never going to find out what it was.

I have star walk app on my iPad but there was nothing on my sky walk app, was not a star and was not jupitar for sure.

There's only 2 planets in that area, it was Jupiter and Venus, and maybe a fly on your telescope/eyeball. Venus doesn't appear as a crescent because of Jupiter being in front of it, and Jupiter is not 'in front' of it regardless. I guarantee you weren't witnessing a Venusian-Jovian partial eclipse. Maybe you found Planet X? Also, it's Jupiter, not jupitar. 

Maybe you could use an app that shows the Solar System as if looking down from above. You'll then see the true circumstances of this planetary conjunction.

Jupiter is actually round the far side of it's orbit while Venus is soon going to pass between the Earth and Sun so is on the near part of it's orbit. No way can Jupiter be ever seen infront of Venus, at least not from Earth.

Try this: http://www.solarsystemscope.com/

But bear in mind that the planets are shown much bigger in relation to their orbit size for identification purposes.

With some playing about you'll be able to see just why Venus is showing as a moon like "phase" and not fully round. 

From Earth we are only able to see a small portion of the sun lit side of Venus.

(Edit: you can set it for "realistic" in the options menu)

But honestly, you'll have to believe us on this one. There is no other bright object involved in that pairing in tonight's evening sky!

The guy with the pics above is absolute right, you are spot on that's what I was seeing but couldn't really see the moons of Jupiter must of been to light still if you no what I mean, and the guy above that's joking about my spelling well I'm sorry buddy for the spelling mistake.

Yeah there was a planet in front of jupitar causing it to crescent but now I know it wasn't jupiter as just noticed Jupiter is behind Venus correct me if I'm wrong.

Listen all you guys know way more than me I'm a pure beginner and only here to learn that's why I asked the question as I now I would of got an answer on here no problem.

Thanks for all replys guys and taking time to read through, take care..

The guy with the pics above is absolute right, you are spot on that's what I was seeing but couldn't really see the moons of Jupiter must of been to light still if you no what I mean, and the guy above that's joking about my spelling well I'm sorry buddy for the spelling mistake.

Yeah there was a planet in front of jupitar causing it to crescent but now I know it wasn't jupiter as just noticed Jupiter is behind Venus correct me if I'm wrong.

Listen all you guys know way more than me I'm a pure beginner and only here to learn that's why I asked the question as I now I would of got an answer on here no problem.

You state that you're a complete beginner (which I don't doubt) but yet you're telling a bunch of people that they are wrong by insisting a planet is in front of another planet thus causing a crescent shape. That's simply not true. And spelling/grammar are important.

Jupiter is millions and millions of miles farther away from Venus then we are. Venus is closer to the sun, then us, then Mars, then Jupiter. 

orbits-after-kepler.gif

Phases of Venus (no other planets involved):

http://www.souledout.org/nightsky/venusphases/venusphases.html

venusphases.jpg

It's sometimes difficult to overcome our deep rooted misconceptions when we start learning a new subject. Once you have the foundations in place you can start building a solid understanding.

Stick with it and eventually it will all make sense.

The problem with learning these days is information overload. There is just so much stuff available on the internet!

It's sometimes difficult to overcome our deep rooted misconceptions when we start learning a new subject. Once you have the foundations in place you can start building a solid understanding.

Stick with it and eventually it will all make sense.

The problem with learning these days is information overload. There is just so much stuff available on the internet!

My friend took this pic in Cyprus, what's the green dot in pic is that just a reflection off the glass on ca,era or is that Venus because it's green and Venus is the green planet? Correct if I'm wrong as %100 you know more than me by far

post-43335-0-48860300-1435709767_thumb.j

I have to say something here, I did wonder myself as I could see jupiter and venus there did look like something a bit lower down, first of all I thought must be one of the moons but then realised the moons were on the top planet, couldnt see anything on the pictures I took though but definate faint star looked to be below Venus from where i was

I have to say something here, I did wonder myself as I could see jupiter and venus there did look like something a bit lower down, first of all I thought must be one of the moons but then realised the moons were on the top planet, couldnt see anything on the pictures I took though but definate faint star looked to be below Venus from where i was

The next brightest object in the are is Regulus (alpha Leonis) but it is over to the left and above Jupiter and Venus. 

My friend took this pic in Cyprus, what's the green dot in pic is that just a reflection off the glass on ca,era or is that Venus because it's green and Venus is the green planet? Correct if I'm wrong as %100 you know more than me by far

Looks like lens flare to me. An artifact caused by internal reflections in the lens.

Venus is generally thought of as a bright white planet, though it can take on just about any caste when low on the horizon.

Uranus and Neptune are the only planets that have colours usually perceived to be in the blue/green part of the spectrum. 

I would politely suggest you to start reading up more on Astronomy and less on 'governmental conspiracies , NASA cover-ups and little green men' ...  :smiley:

The two don't generally mix outside of crank YouTube channels and you'll soon find that they don't go down particularly well here on SGL ...  :rolleyes:

One interesting aspect of Venus is that over the nights you can see its phase change.

In evening apparitions Venus will first be seen as a small white ball close to the sunset horizon. As at comes round its orbit it gets closer to Earth and so appears larger but we gradually see less and less of its sun-lit side as it sweeps round in its orbit between the Sun and Earth. 

If you keep watching it over the next few nights you'll see it gets closer to the sunset each evening, it will grow a bit larger as it gets nearer and it will become a thinner crescent. 

Eventually it will be lost in the glare of sunset as a very thin crescent as it sweeps between us and the sun. Then a few weeks later it will do the exact reverse as it appears in the morning sky before sunrise, slowly getting smaller and further away.

Have a look at that link I posted above, 

A picture paints a thousand words but seeing it with your own eyes is unbeatable!

The phases of Venus were already described by Galileo. He used them to prove Venus orbited the sun. There is a good set of slides from a presentation here:

http://www.astro.umd.edu/~miller/ASTR100/class6.pdf

Please do not drag in government conspiracies, it does not go down well with a scientifically inclined audience

Great sketch from

Achim here with a very good representation of how the planets appeared in the eyepiece. Note the crescent phase to Venus which was clearly visible.

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?/topic/247417-Jupiter-Venus-Conjunction

Screenshot from SkySafari showing the same phase.

As said, nothing to do with being eclipsed by Jupiter, just the same phase effect as you see in the moon every lunar month

fbc72caa44cc84a3dcc8fb0c03db4d3d.jpg

Everyone has to start somewhere. No such thing as a stupid question, ask away my friend, there will be always be plenty of kind people willing to help you out. Keep with it, I'm still learning myself.

Regards,

James

No such thing as a stupid question, but you do need to listen and believe good advice and information when it is given.

Have just knocked up this animation for you from a selection of Stellarium screenshots,

It shows a complete cycle of Venus demonstrating the different view we have of the planet as it moves around the Sun .

Best watched fullscreen in HD as you can then more easily read the relative dates and planetary ephemera too .

Something funky happened but you can't talk about it because you get called wired and stupid, but if you work for government in some way then everyone will believe all you say.

I've never seen Venus crescent like that tonight ever, but I only been doing this few month but my friend I was with has been using scopes for few years and he said that's not normal of Venus to look like that..

But Jupiter was above Venus like guys pics above show, it's just the view and shape of Venus that's getting me thinking..

More things happen up there than we get told and more things happen up there that are brains could properly take in.

Love astronamy tho gets mind thinking and better than going to watch stupid football games and learning nothing at all

I think you need to be critical of the place where you are getting these ideas of government conspiracy's. If there was a planetX or something of that nature headed for Earth would governments cover it up? Hell yeah they would... Would the cover up work.... No. As for your friends picture I have seen stuff like that posted all over the place. The thing is if there was a large object that was visible in day light it would eventually be visible at night and then everyone would see it. If you are being informed by some of the people on youtube all I can say is their arguments are so full of holes that I am so shocked as to how many people buy into this rubbish. If you see something you don't understand in the night time sky its better to ask those who are more knowledgeable about it then go to the conspiracy theorists.

Archived