Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I had to start a new Lunar thread for the hottest night of the year

Pig

The daylight Moon is looking absolutely beautiful against the blue sky. Something I have not noticed that isn't so apparent against a dark sky is how the Moon appears to be hanging there :shocked:

It has very obvious 3D look to it and it appears as if one can slightly see around the other side of its limb, most peculiar but lovely to see.

The daylight Moon is looking absolutely beautiful against the blue sky. Something I have not noticed that isn't so apparent against a dark sky is how the Moon appears to be hanging there :shocked:

It has very obvious 3D look to it and it appears as if one can slightly see around the other side of its limb, most peculiar but lovely to see.

You are a mind reader.  I had a similar OP to post...

No matter how often I look at the moon, it is ALWAYS amazing.  ALWAYS.

Whether its against a dark sky, or a warm summer evening's sky, its beautiful, as it is tonight.

Also, there is a conjunction.  Jeez!

Cheers,

Mark

No matter how often I look at the moon, it is ALWAYS amazing.  ALWAYS.

I couldn't agree more Mark,

The Moon has been a favourite, along with the sun, of mine ever since I started this hobby. In fact it is one of the reasons I started in the first place :laugh:

Very hazy Moon here :(

Like it's wearing a yellow silk veil and golden pyjamas.

Pretty though :)

I have had a mixed bag of seeing for the past hour and I saw the Moon in a similar way just as the cloud started to clear :smiley:  I agree a lovely sight to see :smiley:

Saw that too while I was out walking the dog just now.

The darker horizon below it (the shadow of the approaching night) gave it a 3D quality.

It appeared like it was a bauble hanging from a Christmas tree, with the exception of not being attached by some string :laugh:  Excellent view

I couldn't agree more Mark,

The Moon has been a favourite, along with the sun, of mine ever since I started this hobby. In fact it is one of the reasons I started in the first place :laugh:

Fantastic.

I bet Patrick Moore had an influence?

Cheers,

ark

Looks like the same old DSO destroying moon from here.

It is rather buetiful though.

Sitting here with in my shorts with a cold glass of wine. I shall see if any interesting effects occur as the glass / bottle gets emptier.

Paul

Looks like the same old DSO destroying moon from here.

It is rather buetiful though.

Sitting here with in my shorts with a cold glass of wine. I shall see if any interesting effects occur as the glass / bottle gets emptier.

Paul

Ditto,

Well, apart from whiskey and budwieser.  And the window is open.

Man, its warm.  Good views though...

Cheers,

Mark

Went out and sat in a field to watch the conjunction, but thought I would observe the moon for a while. Had all bar one scope with me, but thought the TAL100 would be the ideal choice for both jobs. Had not taken the time to observe in quite a while (always got a camera in the end of the tube usually imaging the moon). was quite nice to sit there and just watch the moon rise. Again for me the main reason I got into this hobby in the first place....it always drags me back.

• 4 weeks later...

The forecast for the whole of the UK is looking pretty poor this weekend. There may be a small opportunity on Saturday night :laugh:

Yes I took that window of opportunity last night to go lunar observing with my binoculars, which from my allotment vantage point provided at times sharp features on the gibbous surface, with Copernicus acting as the central focal point. Saturn's proximity to was very pleasing. Continual rain now for at least the next few evenings.

I might be learning to enjoy the moon more and more! All this talk of a Blue Moon got me interested so had a good look last night. Wonderful! And though a good few days either side of full will bleach the sky, there are plenty of things to explore during this time.

I took my scope on an unrelated camping trip and broke it out one clear night for the crowd. Starting with Saturn, there were a lot of wows, but most of the guys said it was the view of the moon at the end that impressed the most.

Kevin,

The Moon is great to view, as much as I like observing the stars etc...I  don't think you can top viewing the detail that we can see with lunar and solar observing and maybe a couple of the other planets.

The Moon appears different every time I look at and the more we understand how it got there and its make up the more intriguing I find it. On the odd occasion when pushing 500 X mag is possible it can be pretty breath taking, even if it does fly by in the eyepiece :grin:

Archived