Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from Wolverhampton

astrorod

I am well used to astronomy and telescopes but have an instrument question. I recently bought a Bresser 6" short focus refractor for deep sky work. The telescope itself is optically excellent but has a starfinder bracket using nylon screws, the inevitable happened two sheared off. I decided to fit a Williams Optics bracket along with a skywatcher bracket for a 90 degree finder. I had to remove the focusser assembly to gain access to the inside of the telescope tube a simple task which I have also done on a 5" refractor. When I removed the the focusser assembly my reaction was its very heavy. The telescope is an acromat but has another lens built into the focusser assembly about 2" diameter, is it a field flattener?

Hi Astrorod and welcome to SGL, it makes you wonder, when manufacturers use nylon bolts/nuts for securing Astronomical accessories, whether they have any knowledge of the real World of the practical Astronomer, it is appreciated that they will not rust, but neither does stainless steel, with a much higher tensile strength.  Enjoy your new scope and the forum :)

Archived