Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Part identification

Does anyone know what this device is, what it is used for?

It has two chambers, offset from one another. Through a series of prisms inside the thing each chamber's view is light coming in to the chamber of the other side.

I can't figure this out

post-45550-0-19081700-1435672696_thumb.j

post-45550-0-32118700-1435672717_thumb.j

post-45550-0-62458600-1435672763_thumb.j

You guys are smart.

Yes the device corrects for flipped images, but does nothing to change the image across the virtical axis. Still like looking in a mirror. Are there devices to correct for that?

Thanks for your help

You can get correct image diagonals in either 45 of 90 degrees. These are suitable for use with refractors or cassegrain scopes but not newtonians:

http://www.telescope.com/Orion-125-Correct-Image-Star-Telescope-Diagonal/p/8787

The device you posted photos of is identical to one that was supplied with my 1960's Tasco refractor. I've never used it for astronomical viewing though - too much glass involved !

So we know what it is and from what decade it is from. It certainly wouldnt win any prize in a beauty contest compared to the same thing that is available today.

Looks aint everything. If it still works...............use it. Im guessing the silver end goes into the scope and an eyepiece goes in the black end.

Archived