SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Webcam for deep space

ultramol

hi, can anyone recomend a webcam that can be bought with a long exposure function already in it or does it always have to be modified in some way to get that feature. Thanks in advance for any help.....Geoff

It would, but I think that was discounted in another thread.  Knowing the intended use and/or why the 350D in the OP's sig isn't suitable would probably be useful information though.  I'm wondering if the intention is to use it for video astronomy or somesuch.

James

I would question where webcam ends and DSO camera starts.

The ZWO items are to an extent webcams but they do long exposures as well and there are a number of good DSO images from them.

Will be interesting to see how the ASI 174 performs on DSO's.

The ASI 224 seems likely too small a chip, although that said it is the same dimensions as the ASI 120 chip.

Thank you all for your input. The reason I say a webcam is that they are cheaper than dedicated cameras. I do have a 350d but it has a fault on it and is unreliable. I was just wonderring if there are any with an lx setting rather than getting a philips spc9000 and having to go in to it and add bits and solder bits etc. and use different leads. I have altered things like taking the lens off and the ir filter and fitting an adapter but I saw a video where someone took a picture of the orion nebula with a modified webcam using longer exposures. Would I have to look at a branded camera to get the same results as the modded webcam.. Thanks again

If the 350D is faulty I'd have thought you could pick up a 450D or 1100D for not a huge amount.  For DSO imaging I think either would be more flexible than a webcam.  If you want long exposures then there just aren't that many genuine "webcams" that are suitable and off the top of my head I can't think of any that will do what you want out of the box.  If you bite the bullet and look at a dedicated camera then you're already into used DSLR territory price-wise.  The dedicated camera might be a little more sensitive, but the sensor will be much smaller which isn't ideal for a lot of DSO imaging.

James

Thank you for that. I think a good second hand dslr , with live view , is the order of the day. Although when watching the tutorial on orion you could actually get an image on the screen in sharpcap which really would help when checking alignment and sharpcap settings. I suppose you can't with a dslr camera it being a single shot.

Archived