SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Disappointing fireworks! (NGC6946)

Took 18 x 10 min subs (iso 800) of NGC 6946 (Fireworks Galaxy) and its neighbouring cluster. Plus flats bias and darks.

I must say I'm a bit dissapointed with the result, considering there was 3 hours of lights. Very little detail in the galaxy, despite my best go at curves etc. There just doesn't seem to be enough detail captured in the galaxy to get a detailed image.

Perhaps this is just a very faint fuzzy that my scope is just not adequate for? or is there anything else that could improve this image?

Comments, suggestions and critiques welcome as usual.

post-35654-0-45570500-1435661524_thumb.p

It's a comparatively dim object a bit like M33 I've imaged it in with CCD, LRGB and 10"SCT which is what I found it needed to prize some detail out.

Also help if your somewhere really dark.

Dave

Yes, this is a very faint galaxy. Have a go at ISO 1600. Plus just a little star trailing. How was your guide graph? What processing sw do you use?

Still a good image despite your difficulties! And nicely framed with the cluster.

Alexx

This edit is a bit better after wavelets, at least a bit more detail in the arms but less cloudy.  At the moment, I do levels curves etc in GIMP 2.9 on the 32 bit file, then convert to png and do gradient exterminator and some colour and denoise and sharpening in elements, then this one had wavelets applied. I am seriously looking at getting the photoshop/Lightroom package for £8.50 per month, though the thought of 'renting' software grates!

post-35654-0-54436800-1435664372_thumb.p

Tim, great capture.

hope you don't mind i tried to have quick a go too.

you have a lot more detail in it, you can copy your image and paste it in a layer mask, alt click on the mask and go to image adjustments and apply an inversion effect, then go to the image again and stretch it.

i'm off to college right now but can explain better later if you'd like.

here is my try:

post-37532-0-39681000-1435698617.png

Frank

Great job! You've got star colour there too.

My final attempt at processing this blooming image.... I have learnt a lot playing around with different software and trying both DBE and Gradient Xterminator... but it is time to call it a day and get some more images. Thinking of going for the ring nebula next..

post-35654-0-26833900-1435957508_thumb.p

Archived