Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

quick question on lat/long

I got muddled up with this before and always get confused with me so bear with me. if i wanted cordinates which on google earth say 52.55 N  I just change the 2nd set of numbers yes? so I divide 55 by point 60 to give me 33 and I type in 52. 33 ? and on my west  3.28 I do the same? so 28 changes to 16 giving me 3.16? pretty sure I done this last week on my first trip away but when I went into plar align the stars were way off so presume I mucked something up . Can someone confirm all I need to do is take the number after the decimal point and divide by Point 60 please

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul. Google is giving you the second set of numbers as arc minutes. Your controller needs the same data but in decimals. So for your first example take the 55 and divide it by 60 ( because there are 60 arc minutes in one degree) and it will give about .91 I think. So you enter 52.91 on your controller. Same procedure for the other coordinates.

Not sure.

What is the first one - the 52.55 ?

You are using the same format in the post for decimal and degrees and minutes.

In effect are you in starting in decimal and want minutes or the other way around ???

If the first is 52 degrees and 55 minutes then the decimal is 55.92

If the first is 52.55 degrees then the degrees and minutes are 520 33 minutes

Ok here goes 51.55 becomes 51.91 got that my west co ordinate is 3.28 west  how do i divide 28 by 60 is it point 60 so it would become 3.46?

The handset won't accept 51 91 as a latitude because this is the wrong format (decimal). You were probably correct originally. You can confirm your location using this site http://www.satsig.net/maps/lat-long-finder.htmwhich gives locations in decimal format (not the one to use) and degrees and minutes (the correct format)

I got muddled up with this before and always get confused with me so bear with me. if i wanted cordinates which on google earth say 52.55 N  I just change the 2nd set of numbers yes? so I divide 55 by point 60 to give me 33 and I type in 52. 33 ? and on my west  3.28 I do the same? so 28 changes to 16 giving me 3.16? pretty sure I done this last week on my first trip away but when I went into plar align the stars were way off so presume I mucked something up . Can someone confirm all I need to do is take the number after the decimal point and divide by Point 60 please

Cheers

Paul

To convert the decimal coordinates to degrees and minutes you multiply the decimal portion of the coordinate by 60.

Thrrefore,  3.28 becomes 003 17 W (round up 16.8) and 52.55N becomes 52 33 N

Hi Paul. Google is giving you the second set of numbers as arc minutes. Your controller needs the same data but in decimals. So for your first example take the 55 and divide it by 60 ( because there are 60 arc minutes in one degree) and it will give about .91 I think. So you enter 52.91 on your controller. Same procedure for the other coordinates.

The handset requires the units in degrees and minutes (mapping units) not gps decimal format

No worries no harm done, I got there in the end lol.  All I do then on my polar finder app is look what it says i.e 51.72 take the 72 and multiply it by point 60 which gives me 43 so my lat is 51.43

Correct, I made the error of assuming you were converting the other way. I blame the 2006 St Emillion I had drunk. Happy viewing.

Archived