Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Philips spc9000 Parallel Conector

ultramol

Can anyone tell me if a parallel / usb conector will work a phillips spc9000 lx modded camera on a HP laptop. I only have usb ports on my computer but I need to know if it would only work with an actual parallel port. If it could would I need any special drivers or anything. I am using windows 7 64bit. The actual camera was modified with a parallel port and not a serial port

Many thanks ...Geoff

I dont think a usb/parallel converter will work, I do know that cnc software that uses the parallel port wont work with usb/parallel converters as the software can't toggle the pin individually. They only work with printers.

What you could do is buy a usb serial converter that has the DTR/RTS pins available at TTL voltage and a 25pin port plug and make your own converter.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Pin-USB-2-0-to-TTL-UART-Module-Serial-Converter-CP2102-STC-Replace-Module-BYWP-/331592234092?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d346ff46c

Yup, there's quite a neat conversion that uses a single cable to connect to the PC and uses a "USB hub on a chip" combined with a USB<->serial adaptor at the camera end to make the SPC900 LX mod work.  This could be a good place to start.

James

Thank you for your suggestions. It all seems rather complicated for me I'm afraid. My knowledge of electronics runs to changing a fuse. I shall look for another camera. Thank you very much for your help.......Regards.....Geoff

You don't need much understanding of electronics, but you do need to be able to solder and suchlike.  If you're not happy doing that then yes, a different camera probably makes sense.

That said, what were you hoping to achieve by modding the SPC900 that you couldn't already achieve with the 350D?

James

Hi guys.

The camera in question is mine which I had hoped to sell in the classifieds.

I cannot recall why it was modded with a parallel plug and not a serial one.

In essence can I simple swap the parallel for a serial instead?

I too have no abilities to do this and would like to know if anyine could help?

I think the original mod used the parallel port, perhaps because it's easy to toggle a number of outputs to control the camera and perhaps because most computers had a parallel port as many printers used one.  As they fell out of use it became necessary to find another way to do it.

I'm sure it would be possible to convert a parallel mod to a serial one (or even USB<->serial), but it may not be as simple as unsoldering one cable and resoldering another depending on exactly how the original mod was done.

James

Archived