SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Observatories and Ccd Cameras

astro mick

Hi all.

I leave my expensive ccd camera,s permantly attached to my scopes in the observatory all year round.

Now I don't know wether this is a good thing or a bad thing,but they don't seem to suffer any ill effects.

Just wondering how many other people with observatories do the same thing,or do you treat them with a little more respect.

By the way I don't even cover the scopes,even from dust,as I like air to circulate to help prevent damp,although the observatory does,nt really suffer from this.

Just interested.

Cheers.

Mick.

Yes Sara - but is it possible that the climate in Spain is a tad kinder than on the coast of Yorkshire ?

That said, I lived in South Carolina for five years and knew astronomers who left their scopes, cameras and PCs out for weeks at a time in a very humid coastal environment, covered by nothing more than a plastic sheet.

I was always too scared about snakes and spiders to do that - but the equipment seemed to survive OK.

60Da is in the obsy year round, either attached to a lens or scope.

Just have a Cygnus breathable astro cover over the whole mount to keep worst of dust and spiders off the gear.

Only time will tell if this is a good idea.

Mine live on the scopes. Sure, we have the climate of SE France but that isn't all about blazing heat.  :grin:

SUMMER%20KITCHEN-M.jpg

HOME%20SWEET%20HOME-M.jpg

I will sometimes put a pet warmer pad or heated dew tape close to the cameras if it is persistently very humid, which occasionally it is. But taking cameras on and off would defeat the point of an observatory for me. I thnk there's no need.

Olly

It would be interesting to hear if anyone has corrosion problems with salt in coastal areas. If they do, how do they treat equipment to minimise its effects ?

That's a good point because salty humid air wreaks havoc with all sorts of things. I'd have thought that thorough dehumidifaction would prevent moisture carrying salt onto sensitive components.

Olly

• 3 weeks later...

Archived