Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First time seeing any DSO

Magrene

Hello everyone, last night I was determined to see a DSO. I had posted on here in a different thread asking about what would be a good thing to try for. I was told that m13 was a good option. I got outside around 9:30 as clouds had just passed overhead. Neighbors had lights on as they were in their yard until around 11:15pm. I had work the following morning and had to get up at 6am so I knew I had to make sure to not stay out too late. Then I scanned the sky while I waited for my eyes to adjust. Took at look at URSA MAJOR and scanned seeing that there was m109 close to the stars I could see in the constellation. Scanned the sky around it but didn't see anything. I figured I wouldn't seeing as it was in a very heavily light polluted portion of the sky and the objects were quite faint. I decided to look for m13. I was avoiding it because it was almost directly overhead at about 84 degrees and I didn't want to strain my neck. At this point it was about 11:40pm and I knew I couldn't spend much more time out. My eyes were having trouble making out Hercules so I was changing between looking down my finder and my iphone app starwalk. Finally after about 15 minutes of breaking my neck I came into view. I almost missed it. Out of the cornor of my 25mm eyepiece I saw what looked like a smudge. I thought there is no way I found it. Slewed my scope around and put it in the center. Started very slowly focusing. The object looked like a big spider web in the sky. After staring at it for a while in my 25mm I decided to try my 6.2mm even though I know generally lower powers are better for DSO. Switched to my 6.2 and lost it for a minute. Finally it came into view. M13 barely fit into the view but it looked amazing still very faint and hard get a good look at. But wow just wow is all I have to say. Was excited that on my third observation session every with my scope I was able to find a DSO. Now im excited to take a look at it again as well as some other DSOs. Maybe when I can not worry about the time of night. If weather permits sleeping this weekend will be happening in the daytime. Thanks for reading my long winded explanation. :D

You need to know a few of the constellations that are in easy to see positions and then which DSO's are in them.

Another "easy" one (well 2 actually) would be the double cluster in Perseus.

You get to it/them using 2 of the Cassiopeia stars as pointers.

Another "cheat" are the galaxies at the end of Leo, find Leo, go to the Denebola end and carry on a little more into the "blank" bit. Lots of little disks (I mean little) appear, they are galaxies part of the Coma Cluster I think.

You need to know a few of the constellations that are in easy to see positions and then which DSO's are in them.

Another "easy" one (well 2 actually) would be the double cluster in Perseus.

You get to it/them using 2 of the Cassiopeia stars as pointers.

Another "cheat" are the galaxies at the end of Leo, find Leo, go to the Denebola end and carry on a little more into the "blank" bit. Lots of little disks (I mean little) appear, they are galaxies part of the Coma Cluster I think.

Thanks tonight ill be sleeping making up for last night. But Wednesday and Thursday it is supposed to be clear so will for sure be out one of those nights.

Congratulations, Magrene. I feel the more you observe the more you will see, so you're off to a good start. I look forward to seeing more reports :smiley:

This is very true. The next time you look at it, you will notice more detail. And the next time after that.

Hello everyone, last night I was determined to see a DSO. I had posted on here in a different thread asking about what would be a good thing to try for. I was told that m13 was a good option. I got outside around 9:30 as clouds had just passed overhead. Neighbors had lights on as they were in their yard until around 11:15pm. I had work the following morning and had to get up at 6am so I knew I had to make sure to not stay out too late. Then I scanned the sky while I waited for my eyes to adjust. Took at look at URSA MAJOR and scanned seeing that there was m109 close to the stars I could see in the constellation. Scanned the sky around it but didn't see anything. I figured I wouldn't seeing as it was in a very heavily light polluted portion of the sky and the objects were quite faint. I decided to look for m13. I was avoiding it because it was almost directly overhead at about 84 degrees and I didn't want to strain my neck. At this point it was about 11:40pm and I knew I couldn't spend much more time out. My eyes were having trouble making out Hercules so I was changing between looking down my finder and my iphone app starwalk. Finally after about 15 minutes of breaking my neck I came into view. I almost missed it. Out of the cornor of my 25mm eyepiece I saw what looked like a smudge. I thought there is no way I found it. Slewed my scope around and put it in the center. Started very slowly focusing. The object looked like a big spider web in the sky. After staring at it for a while in my 25mm I decided to try my 6.2mm even though I know generally lower powers are better for DSO. Switched to my 6.2 and lost it for a minute. Finally it came into view. M13 barely fit into the view but it looked amazing still very faint and hard get a good look at. But wow just wow is all I have to say. Was excited that on my third observation session every with my scope I was able to find a DSO. Now im excited to take a look at it again as well as some other DSOs. Maybe when I can not worry about the time of night. If weather permits sleeping this weekend will be happening in the daytime. Thanks for reading my long winded explanation. :D

Nice report! It's very true that you 'learn to see more' - and some nights have much better viewing conditions than others! My first DSO was M42, and I had to check it wasn't my breath on the ep. I was thrilled, but it was a grey smudge. Many many sessions later, same scope (ok much better quality ep) and I was seeing colour - very green - and one night in particular, incredible 3D like detail in M42. I love the way I'm still getting new 'wow' views from a scope I've had for more than 6 yrs :)

Anyone have recommendations for more objects to look for. I have tried to look for m57 "The Ring Nebula" I have looked directly at where I believe the object should be in Lyra and see nothing but the stars that are part of the constellation. I have looked around at places like in ursa major for M51 and have been unable to locate it. Are these objects too dim? Or do I need to wait for the moon to go away as it has been pretty bright for the past few days.

The moon really hurts DSO, I looked at M57 last night and it needed big mag to pull it out, M27 was just a smudge no matter what- I didn't use filters last night. A UHC would help things. M51, forget it under the moon! I do anyway, galaxies get really hurt with LP or the moon. Once found try upping the mag on M57...

The moon really hurts DSO, I looked at M57 last night and it needed big mag to pull it out, M27 was just a smudge no matter what- I didn't use filters last night. A UHC would help things. M51, forget it under the moon! I do anyway, galaxies get really hurt with LP or the moon. Once found try upping the mag on M57...

Only problem is I don't think I have the appropriate mag for it. Unless going from my 25mm to my 6.2mm would be ok. After my next paycheck ill prob be going for a better mag for a nice middle ground prob a 10mm eyepiece and maybe a Barlow. Is there any other objects that would be recommended at this time of the year? Andromeda unfortunately is too low on my horizon right now to be visible when it does rise.

Your 6.2mm will be fine on the Ring, I used way over 250X last night to pull it out. For me this is nebula season, once the summer sky darkens I focus on Cygnus quite a bit, so much to see. The North American neb,Peilcan, Veil neb, Crescent and so many others, an OIII filter will be of use to you- make your choice wisely for brand. Right now I'm splitting doubles- I got Pi Aquilae last night very cleanly. I over in the doubles section there is enough info to keep us busy for years! :grin:  Follow Cotterless's threads, Nick is an excellent observer and star guide. I'm so far behind on the list its not funny...

How dark are your skies on a moonless night?

Your 6.2mm will be fine on the Ring, I used way over 250X last night to pull it out. For me this is nebula season, once the summer sky darkens I focus on Cygnus quite a bit, so much to see. The North American neb,Peilcan, Veil neb, Crescent and so many others, an OIII filter will be of use to you- make your choice wisely for brand. Right now I'm splitting doubles- I got Pi Aquilae last night very cleanly. I over in the doubles section there is enough info to keep us busy for years! :grin:  Follow Cotterless's threads, Nick is an excellent observer and star guide. I'm so far behind on the list its not funny...

How dark are your skies on a moonless night?

Well they can be quite light polluted as I think the North East is very light polluted. I live in a suburb though so its more towards the horizon that the light pollution is real bad. I think according to the light pollution map I have seen im in the red. Although not the darkest red which would be like if I lived in NYC. The closest darker location to me is about 20-30 mins away on the barrier beach for long island but I would have to find a spot somewhere over there where there are not lights. I do most of my observing from my backyard because as the xt8 and base barely fit in my car.

What can be interesting is that those maps sometimes don't define the zone edges well and pockets of darkness can be found, particularly at the zenith. NELM is a good method but kind of hard, my SQM-L really helps. If you can see the Milky way at all then DSO will be much easier.

What can be interesting is that those maps sometimes don't define the zone edges well and pockets of darkness can be found, particularly at the zenith. NELM is a good method but kind of hard, my SQM-L really helps. If you can see the Milky way at all then DSO will be much easier.

I find at at zenith I think that light pollution is for sure very low. My southern skies are a whole lot more clear because thats the direction of the ocean and in some places I can look right out int of the ocean and have nothing polluting that portion of sky. There is a park near me that I can get my town to leave open it is located right on the edge and looks out into the bay with our barrier island right on the horizion. Its great except for a few major issues. No1 bugs o man there are so many bugs its bad I wear pants a jacket and gloves and its the middle of the summer here when i observe and they still get me. No2 they have security lights which remain on throughout the night and make it impossible to allow eyes to adjust. No3 when looking out into the bay there is a house right on the edge of the canal that is nearby that has their yard lit out like a Christmas tree with spot lights. Im not sure what can be done about these issues I can try asking the town to shut the lights off for a certain amount of time but I doubt that will happen as its a security thing the park is supposed to be closed anyway. I have tried concealing myself behind bushes but the ambient light from the security lights and the house on the canal still hurt my night vision. Im thinking there might be a place I can setup the scope on the sand that is more protected from the light pollution. But is this safe its a salt water body of water as its practically the Atlantic ocean.

I've seen M4 where I could barely tell it was there, and on the next night I've seen it totally brightened up, weird how that works. 

Hmm interesting. Ill look tonight if it clears up for some of the more brighter DSO's. Im thinking m20 should be visible even though it will be a full moon as I am able to see m13 in a full moon. The only problem would be is that m13 is pretty high up almost at zenith and m20 is pretty low on the horizon. 

Great report.

Last night I was at a site where the only visible artificial lights were on planes, and I couldn't see any glow from habitations at all. But the moonlight was so bright that I couldn't see the milky way or even find Hercules. I was quite surprised as I could see more in my backyard with all the LP when the moon is hidden, except in the north.

By 1:00am I was able to read my star atlas by moonlight -wow it takes some getting used to realising how much bigger the sky is than the maps!

Great report.

Last night I was at a site where the only visible artificial lights were on planes, and I couldn't see any glow from habitations at all. But the moonlight was so bright that I couldn't see the milky way or even find Hercules. I was quite surprised as I could see more in my backyard with all the LP when the moon is hidden, except in the north.

By 1:00am I was able to read my star atlas by moonlight -wow it takes some getting used to realising how much bigger the sky is than the maps!

Its funny because I never realized how bright the moon really was until I tried to observe with it up.

Archived