SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pluto Dwarf planet of a Collection of objects?

Earl

I recall being really excited when New Horizons took off, and blasted past or Moons orbit in about 9 hours!! Seriously quick! And then that gravity assist by Jupiter that gave it a further 9000mph boost!! Still taken 9 years to get there though. It gave my son a better understanding of the size of the solar system – told him NH could get from our house in Derby to my old house in Norfolk in about 20 seconds. And its been going at about that speed for 9 years!!

The images coming back from it so far are exciting – large details starting to come through, and as it gets closer by 750,000 miles per day it will just get better. Hope it survives long enough to rendezvous with another TNO as was the original plan I think.

I recall being really excited when New Horizons took off, and blasted past or Moons orbit in about 9 hours!! Seriously quick! And then that gravity assist by Jupiter that gave it a further 9000mph boost!! Still taken 9 years to get there though. It gave my son a better understanding of the size of the solar system – told him NH could get from our house in Derby to my old house in Norfolk in about 20 seconds. And its been going at about that speed for 9 years!!

The images coming back from it so far are exciting – large details starting to come through, and as it gets closer by 750,000 miles per day it will just get better. Hope it survives long enough to rendezvous with another TNO as was the original plan I think.

Indeed Nigey. Feels like we're really privileged to be living through an incredible age of space exploration. Some of the other Kuiper belt objects look fascinating - there's a rugby ball shaped body - similar size to Pluto - and 'Makemake' - don't know if New Horizons is going to send back images of these?

There have been many memorable missions in the last 10 - 15 years. Cassini at Saturn, Gallilao at Jupiter, Messenger at Mercury. And we have learned tons about our own moon as well. Seems New Horizons will complete all the main targets. And then on. Dont think that it will visit Makemake. I believe they are still to select a target.

Archived