SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

AZ Dual Mount for Solar?

Qualia

I've been looking around at Alt Azimuth dual mount possibilities in Europe for my Lunt 60mm and the TV 76 for day time solar use and was wondering if anyone has any ideas of what I could do?

I know in the past many folk would have recommended the Giro III but as far as I can gather, it is now sold out in Europe and will no longer be manufactured.

The Giro WR is another attractive recommendation but doesn't appear to be designed to fit standard astronomy tripods and would firstly require a rather drastic hack job on an exisiting astro tripod (Celstron, Skywatcher etc) or the purchasing of a brand new tripod which would fit the weird imperial bolt. Secondly, it would also need another arm and clamp to house the second scope. Once you consider these two necessary additions the small Giro WR rockets into Ercole price zones.

Then there's the Skytee under different brand names for around €300 and the Altair Sabre or Ercole + necessary clamps for around €500. I've read that the former mount may have potential problems and the latter two mounts, although extremely attractive do seem a little excessive when considering magnification would be quite low, the scopes aren't that long and their combined weight is probably no more than 7kgs in total. 

Browsing a few European websites I came across this AZ set up:

post-21324-0-85747400-1433206942.jpg

I was wondering if anyone has heard of someone with experience of this mount or whether anyone knows anything about it, or whether anyone has any gut feelings on its performance? It's the only dual AZ mount I've seen that no one even mentions :dontknow:

Other than that, does anyone have any ideas of what I could do, or would it just make more sense to purchase another AZ single mount?

Any input would be great :smiley:

Not heard of this dual mount you link to, and my browser would not translate so could not read the spec, but from the picture it looks to be well made, and if its a good mount then it would meet your needs nicely, maybe ask the dealer if you were to purchase it, what the return policy is in case you found it less than satisfactory 

Hi There Rob,

It is a Skytee I, it is a capable mount but primitive compared to the Skytee II. However it does the job!, if you can pick one up at a reasonable cost then it is worth it. I have not changed the 'pucks' on mine and it currently has a f10 127mm and an f8 120mm frac on it.

Rob, as Michael says, the Giro-WR will fit the SW tripods. I use mine on an EQ6 tripod, I just use the correct sized bolt for the Giro-WR and it goes straight through the hole in the tripod.

I love mine because it is so small compared with others and yet still takes a heavy load.

Wow! Thank you, gentlemen :grin:

Once again, SGL has gone beyond the call of duty. Not only has the mysterious mount been identified but I've also been given possibilities of using the Giro WR :headbang:

The only snag I foresee is the bolt business. I remember the madness I had trying to find some little screws to fit the ADM (metric) dovetail to the TV (imperial) 76 and no matter where I looked nothing cropped up. No one I could find (Teleskop, Astroshop, Robtics etc) did exactly what was needed and in the end, I had to tie soft soldering wire around the head of the screws to get a snugger more secure fit when I screw them in :hmh:

If I've got it right, a 3/8" thread is about 9.52mm thick, but do any of you know what kind of bolt and screws would be needed and where I could pick one up?

Thanks again for your time :smiley:

Hi Rob,

Do you need the bolt to go in the bottom of the Skytee and secure to the mount??. If so they are 10mm... He says looking at a long version sitting on the desk...!! Probably have a suitable spere. drop me a pm with address if you need one.

Dear Damien and Stu,

You are both very kind with your offers and I just wanted to say thank you. I have to go to work now and won't be back until late tonight, so please don't think me rude if there isn't a reply until the early hours :smiley:

post-21324-0-10822700-1433249903.jpg

I have a couple of these knocking about the house, but these are the M10 bolts mentioned, so although a very kind offer, Damien, I guess I won't need your spare one.

Stu, if you had the the time, just a link would suffice, for I can buy the necessary bolt myself. But, again, your offer was very kind and I may still need to pester you :grin:

Michael, if you had a little linky to the handy adapter you've got, that would be great. I've seen something like this but I really don't know if that is the kind of thing I'm looking for :tongue:

As you guys can see, when it comes to penning a text I'm doing alright but changing a light bulb is an entirely different matter :p

Archived