SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello

froggy1962

Hi, my name is Terry, Iam new to Star gazing, very green, very enthusiastic and ready to learn. My wife bought me a "Vivatar " telescope for my birthday, she says " its a start.....but it appears to be more of a toy! I guess I need to be looking for a differant model ? any help gladly received . ( I must be careful not to upset her feelings though ! I look forward to any advice on buying the best starting model. thanks in advance Terry.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi terry welcome to SGL, the Vivitar does seem to be a very basic beginner's scope but like you said it's a start, click on the FLO website link at the top of this site to get an idea of what you may want in the near future.

There are so many options and prices vary significantly depending on what you want out of a telescope.

The factors to consider in the purchase of a scope are immense, so ask around the delegated slots of the stargazers lounge community and you will surely find the answers to all the questions you need to ask.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

Ant.

Hi and welcome, Terry. As Ant writes, there are so many different things to research, learn and 'mess around' with - which is all part of this deeply interesting hobby. And that's not to mention seeing some wonderful things with your own eyes.

Have fun; I'm sure you will.

p.s. Your missus may wonder what she's done in buying you a telescope! And when it comes to budget, which it will, don't forget the 'pre-loved' market. Lots of people upgrading and casting off gear ...

Hi Terry,

Warm welcome to SGL..To be frank as a decent starter you need to be looking at something like this :-- http://www.tringastro.co.uk/sky-watcher-heritage-130p-flextube-dobsonian-telescope-445-p.asp?gclid=CNCN1bDK7sUCFQcYwwod00oA0w ..

However have you thought about a pair of binoculars???. Thats where most folk start out, Also download a planetarium program. Plenty out there but try stellarium its great and free, to be found here :-- http://www.stellarium.org/ it will help you learn where things are in the sky.

Hi Terry and welcome to SGL - The best scope is the one that you use so if you can learn your way around the sky with this scope, then you could upgrade from there and spare your wifes feelings.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi Terry and welcome to SGL, you don`t say which model Vivitar scope your Wife bought you, but most seem to be 50mm refractors. The next size up is 76mm, one such popular model you have quoted. Many have invested in these scopes and have enjoyed using them, but soon come to realise their limitations, especially when they come to join a forum such as this, which has a colossal membership of dedicated Astronomers from all parts of the World.

I would recommend you take a deep breath and step back for a while, so that you can assimilate the wealth of information that you can gain from the many threads covering scope choice and equipment, recommended for those wanting to gain a foothold on the Astronomical ladder. In the meantime get accustomed to using what you have and learn your way about the night sky, it will not be long before you are have sufficient knowledge to take you next step forward, enjoy your Astronomy and the forum :)  

Hi Terry,

Welcome.

I suggest as your wife bought you a scope, no matter what size ,use it as much as possible. Next see if you can join a astronomy club in your area. Most importantly take her along! Talking to other members and seeing their gear hopefully will inform you BOTH of some of what else is available. It will make the transition to more suitable, if wanted, scope and astro gear, open to suggestion. I'm sure when she sees other people's scopes she will be the one to suggest getting something else.

This forum is a mine of information, but only really to the person reading it. If she is not involved in reading the forum, then all the excited suggestions may come as "Oh heck what have I started".

My wife has made many friends by being involved, not actually in the astro side but on the periphery.

Enjoy the hobby.

Derek

Archived