SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First serious observing session.

gurey

Hi all,

Today was my first time taking my scope out properly (bought on Thursday) with the intention of staying out till around 11:30. I began by adjusting the finder scope, as I'd clumsily hit the wall while bringing it out. The Moon appeared around 7:50 and managed to view the it for a while till it disappeared behind the trees, and out came Jupiter. I managed to see 3 of the 4 moons, with what also looked like the shadow of another (I'd seen the moons the night before but no bands). I also managed to see about 3 cloud bands. Then I turned the scope to Venus, which seemed like it was at 50%.

My main target was the rings of Saturn. The Moon was almost full, and there seemed to be glare on the finder scope from it so it took some time to locate the planet. I did eventually find it, and sat there just staring at it for about 30 minutes. A solid ring was clearly visible, but no Cassini division unfortunately. I then took some time to look at a few stars (Polaris, Vega, Arcturus, Spica) and the Moon again, which never seems to disappoint. The telescope is a 76mm reflector fl=700mm, all observations were made with H EP's( I know, terrible).

I was wondering, just how basic is the telescope on a scale of 1-10? Overall, I'm very happy for what I paid for it (£25), but what else can I expect?

That sounds like a good first observing session to me! It was a couple of months before I saw my first planet.

Your telescope probably rates a2 or 3, but that's not a bad thing. It's ready to use and cheap. If it was dearer, you may not have bought it, and you wouldn't have seen anything. If it was complicated to use, your first experience may not have been as good (read the horror stories of people who bought an expressive EQ as their first mount!)

That sounds like a good first observing session to me! It was a couple of months before I saw my first planet.

Your telescope probably rates a2 or 3, but that's not a bad thing. It's ready to use and cheap. If it was dearer, you may not have bought it, and you wouldn't have seen anything. If it was complicated to use, your first experience may not have been as good (read the horror stories of people who bought an expressive EQ as their first mount!)

Was that because of the positioning? I probably just got into the hobby at the right time

Sound like you enjoyed yourself. Never worry about what telescope you have at the moment, it is a hobby you can grow into as said the important thing is you have made a start.

Alan

Yes, starting is better than nothing I suppose

Was that because of the positioning? I probably just got into the hobby at the right time

Positioning/timing, yes. Our first night of observing we had a very distant Mars, and Venus, which while it's cool, it's not very spectacular.

thats a great first report, and it sounds like your scope is brilliant. its like when you first pass your driving test and jump in a astra it is great, if you jumped into a Porsche it would feel similar. enjoy what you have :smiley:

Archived