Narrowband

Question on using live view for focusing 1000D

Hi all, I need some advice. Just purchased a 130pds, so apologies for the extra clouds lmao. I tried it last night focusing on Dubhe before the clouds rolled. If I looked through the view finder I could see the star, but on live view at 5x or 10x I could not see the star.

I don't know if this was due to the moonlight and street lights being bright making the star fainter or I was just unlucky with a cloud passing at that moment. Any advice as it was hard to focus on the view finder.

Thanks in advance.

When you go to 5x or 10x a box appears on the screen as you are effectively cropping the picture , you can use the  up , down , left , right buttons to scan across the sensor to find the star that has 'disappeared' from view ...  :smiley:

post-21219-0-96762200-1432985095.jpg

With my camera stars become more visible as you zoom in but focus is more critical so a slightly defocussed star might show up at x1 and vanish at x10 this however works in your favor.

What I normally do is start at x1 focus then zoom to x5 and refocus the same at x10 but at this point not only is the main star visible but lots of faint ones and the focus then begins to act as a switch with these so they are either on or off making accurate focus easy.

Alan

Thanks for the advice. You can it was 1 am and i was fed up of the clouds. I didn't even think of moving the cropped image around using the buttons. Feel a right idiot for not thinking of something simple as I have done that loads of times on landscape shooting

Thanks again both for the great advice.

You can find 9 mag stars on the 10X liveview they come in and out of focus on a quarter of a turn on a 10-1 focuser, the best way i found, centre a bright star in the view finder, put a Bahnitov mask on the end of the scope take it to 10X  using the scroll key to keep it centered then focus you won't get it any better than that....

I gave up trying to do anythign on the screen of a camera also added to the visual limitatins of it was shaking caused by using the buttons on it.

using something like EOS Util and live view on a laptop i found far more rewarding

Archived