Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Binocular Collimation (re AB sale items)

Alfian

Hi all,

Recently there have been a lot of binos for sale on astroboot that are given as OK apart from being out of collimation. For instance there are some Helios Q4 15x70s advertised for £55 needing attention. How difficult is it to get these back into shape? If it is a reasonably easy task for someone fairly practically minded (famous last words!) there could be some very useful savings to be made. Or is it just a bit too risky? 

Collimation is normally 2 screws that push against the internal prism. One for each side and situated below the eyepiece s on the body of the binocular.

The prism inside (Porro prism) is usually held down by a metal strip across the top of it that is screwed down to prevent movement in everyday use. High-tech they are not.

In effect you loosen the prism up a bit so it can just move when pushed by the collimation screws and then adjust the collimation a bit, reassemble and look through. If it is better great, if worse adjust collimation the other way.

Have done it to a couple of sets and easy if you take your time and do nothing extreme.

Extreme being releasing the prism fully, as then it moves and usually so much that you are in deeper water. Usually it slides around inside the top assembly.

AB were part of 3 or 4 companies all gathered into one location and they sold a lot of binoculars, so I suspect these are ones left over or returned needing a bit of resetting when the companies split. Their building was an odd place inside, lot and lots and lots of odd items in cabinets and drawers and cupboards.

Collimating the Q4 15×70 is pretty easy. The adjusting screws are under the rubber housing of the main, er, tube (not sure what the proper name is!)

Of course, the ease of correcting depends on how badly the bins are out. Mine were slightly OOC (I bought them as such, for good price) and it only took a few experiments with screw travel (small adjustments is the key) to get collimation as near as dammit :)

Thanks guys. I really don't need another pair of binos and though the Apollo's are somewhere lurking in the subconsciousness (though worth it, I know, the cost tends to keep them there!)  I've long fancied a pair of 15x70s.  What's the expression " I can resist anything except temptation?" mmmm think I'll sleep on it. (Afternoon nap) 

I've recently bought a pair of Apollo 28x110's from Astroboot which need collimating. I couldn't resist at 145 pounds when the RRP is around 480! Plus I love this class of binos the optics are superb.

I've had to collimate my 15x85 version that I bought second hand because they must have got knocked in transit, it was easy enough once I could actually find the collimation screws.

I did find them in the end with a bit of help :)

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/239871-collimation-tips-ts-15x85mx/

I'm hoping these giant 28x110's will be just as easy to collimate, I've only just got hold of a mount capable of holding them so hopefully I'll find out soon :)

If you like to tinker with stuff I say go for it, thanks to the internet you can eventually find the answer to almost anything :)

Hi Chris, yes I have looked at some of the "biggies" and they are a bit mouth watering, but my enthusiasm is tempered somewhat when I then think of the additional outlay in properly mounting them. I'd love to have a wince through some though!

I've recently bought a pair of Apollo 28x110's from Astroboot which need collimating. I couldn't resist at 145 pounds when the RRP is around 480! Plus I love this class of binos the optics are superb.

I've had to collimate my 15x85 version that I bought second hand because they must have got knocked in transit, it was easy enough once I could actually find the collimation screws.

I did find them in the end with a bit of help :)

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/239871-collimation-tips-ts-15x85mx/

I'm hoping these giant 28x110's will be just as easy to collimate, I've only just got hold of a mount capable of holding them so hopefully I'll find out soon :)

If you like to tinker with stuff I say go for it, thanks to the internet you can eventually find the answer to almost anything :)

Let us know how yo get on with collimating the 28x110's - if it goes ok there may be one or two others on SGL trying the same approach to getting a bargain!

Hi Paz, will do, but I'm fairly sure it will be exactly the same as the 15x85's I collimated so it should be fine. I just need to get a dovetail bar now so I can attach them to my Skytee II mount, then I'll get on the case.

I could try and collimate them on my 8115 tripod but I fear the binos would crush it, they are that big!

I have got at least 6 pairs off them over the last couple of years all easy to collimate as all were Porro prism but just got a pair of quantum 5 and they look more difficult but I will have a go if needs be

Hi all, thanks for the interest and the positive responses. Just when I was confident that the idea was a "goer", a very surprising turn of events has somewhat diverted my thoughts. A fellow , and much more experienced, astronomer has very generously effectively given me some equipment  that will expand the possible uses of my Tal mount. I am quite taken aback by this and feel very fortunate and grateful. This has once again made me think of a larger scope and consequently, spending has gone on hold pending possible longer term plans. The astro community never ceases to amaze me.

Archived