Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Triple ISS Transit in the UK tonight

DRT

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have my 200P Newt and the ST150 sitting either side of a Giro III waiting on midnight. Might be easier in the 200P rather than bending myself in half to get to the EP in the 150 :wink:

post-20507-0-66300300-1432938589_thumb.j

This is from satellite safari at that time. According to that you should be able to see it from the ground anywhere in the circle. Oh well we'll see soon :) on this and Sky safari you need to update the minor object orbit data to get an accurate picture, do you need to in stellarium.

According to Heavens Above and Stellarium it is still eclipsed by the Earth when it passes the Moon.

Dave

ISS Spotter on the iPhone says it emerges from the Earth's shadow at 00:11:45, which is 30 seconds after it passes the Moon :sad:

I wonder if the ISS has a significant period of dawn?

I might point my ST150 and Nag31 (FOV 3.2) with the Moon at the bottom of the FOV at 00:11:15 and watch for a grey smudge floating over the top ;-)

Me neither, didn't see anything when it passed the Moon but picked it up a few seconds later and tracked it across the sky for a couple of minutes.

I could definitely see that it had a shape rather than just being a point of light but the CA from the ST150 made it a blurred image.

Will try it in the 200P at slightly higher mag on the next pass.

Had two goes, missed it completely the first time as I'd lined up star with the finder scope in Hercules left leg which it was supposed to pass then discovered the finder was way out.

Second time 1.45 ish it went through the finder scope view and I fired off a few shots in fast frame mode but haven't looked at them yet.

Nice bright meteor heading East / West about 1.45.

Dave

Says Sunday at top right, bit confusing way of showing the date surely there's no such time as 12.55am shouldn't it be 00.55am ?

According to Stellarium it's going over 11 Her tonight, bit academic as it looks like clouds here  :sad:

Dave

Says Sunday at top right, bit confusing way of showing the date surely there's no such time as 12.55am shouldn't it be 00.55am ?

According to Stellarium it's going over 11 Her tonight, bit academic as it looks like clouds here  :sad:

Dave

Yep I agree, not sure it displays like that but it is set to 00:55

I missed the earlier transit due to cloud but caught it at 01:45ish in the ST150 with a 13mm Ethos (x58 mag) and it was still just a blurry bright blob with lots of green and yellow CA around a bright white core. It was moving very fast at this mag and I'm not convinced I could successfully track it much higher than this unless I can find somewhere with a very low southern horizon and wait until it does a low, slow pass.

Archived