Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Explore Scientific for 8" SCT

Having googled my eyes out I am starting my own thread. I know much of this has been asked before so please humour me!

I have just purchased the mammoth Maxvision 40mm but with Jupiter so nice at the moment have realised I need a c.10mm lens.

I have narrowed it down to ES 82 degree 11mm or Celstron Luminos 10mm. Any opinions please?

I would also like a wider FOV than the Meade 5000 26mm plossl.

Again ES 82 degree 24mm or Liminos 23mm seem good choices. But then I see there is the Maxvision 24mm. Is there a great deal between these 3?

Final thought, can't remember the word but if I stick with the same range will they stay in focus? May affect my decision but only a tiny bit!

Thanks!

Hi, I've heard that the 10mm luminos is the weakest out that range and probably a touch too high powered for general seeing. I've owned the ES82 11mm and can recommend it. I currently use ES100's in my C8 and I use the 14mm ES100 the most for planets :)

I probably should add that I've just picked up the 7 & 15mm Luminos from ebay but have only used the 15mm once so far in my Lunt 35 solar telescope.

Just to be fair on the Luminos I can see that they have there good points about their design but obviously I need to use them much more before having an opinion on them optically. I already really like the very smooth twist up eyecup and the eye relief is very good for an 82 degree eyepiece.

I can't see the full field of view without my eyelashes hitting the glass with the ES82's but that's the only downside, optically they are very good :)

From what I've read on CN about the Luminos, some people notice edge of field brightening with them, and some find them very good without any EOFB. The 10mm is suppose to be bad for EOFB. I think a lot depends on the scope used, I have a feeling they will work fine at f/10 which is what I want to try them out with but we will see :)

I suppose another question: would I be pushing it with the 8.8mm? I want something I can use most of the time ideally, not just once in every three outings.

Thanks for input so far!

I suppose another question: would I be pushing it with the 8.8mm? I want something I can use most of the time ideally, not just once in every three outings.

Thanks for input so far!

In an SCT with a 2000mm focal length an 8.8mm EP would give you 228x. 

As said I think 10mm is s little too much for general conditions, the ES82 11mm would be better in my opinion, but see who else chimes in, they might have a different take on things?

Hi Zeffer,

I'm in the same situation, where I only have the 40mm 50* that came with my Edge 8". So, after a lot of consideration and consultation I have placed an order on the ES82 11mm and 18mm (the 18mm is a 2"), and expecting to get them next week. I'm also intending to get a 2x Barlow, and if I have the extra cash next year or later I would get the 30mm.

11mm=> 1.1 exit pupils, 185x

18mm=> 1.8 exit pupils, 112x

40mm=> 4 exit pupils, 51x

Great advice, thank you all. I am very tempted by the 18mm next but on just the right day I'm sure the Pentax must be stunning.

I was looking at M13 last night wishing I had my new EP!

• 5 weeks later...

I currently have been using the luminos 15mm with my 8" edgehd scope. I have been nothing but impressed with this combination. However, the luminos series have been stated by celestron to be designed to work with flatfield slow scopes. So i assume this pairing will probably give the best luminos experience you can get. I have a 10mm coming in the mail so we will see if it performs as admirably.

Archived