Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ6 syntrek

Spoon

Hi all,

Looking at buying an EQ6 of some sort, it's either buy an EQ6 syntrek this month or an NEQ6 on next payday (4 weeks away). I would buy second hand but they rarely come up! I would buy the EQ6 syntrek but the only snag that I can't get my head round is: how do you align it? I've got an Obsy so can use EQmod or whatever, do I just align it to a certain object and go from there? Also do I just replace the controller with the EQDIR cable if I do?

Cheers

Cam

I have an EQ6 controlled via EQMOD and it is dead easy to set up.  You need an EQDIR cable  http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-eqdir-adapter.html

I must admit I bought my cable from Astronomiser as I needed a 5m cable to get from my mount to my warm room - the Hitec ones are only 2m.  

By align I assume you mean the "3 star align" rather than polar aligning the mount?  With EQMOD its easy - just slew to your object, centre it and click on align - repeat for two more (or ten more!) and you are aligned.  I use Cartes du Ceil as my atlas (with all the additional downloads) and you can align on any object you choose.  I usually pick three brightish stars in a rough triangle around my chosen target for the night.

Once aligned and as long as you don't release the clutches, the mount will slew accurately from session to session.  If you do release the clutches then simply slew to something easy (mag 1 star or planet etc), release the clutches and manually centre the object, fasten the clutches and the mount will be pretty well aligned.

The system is compatable with PHD guiding (PHD1 or PHD2 - which has a nifty polar alignment tool ) for guiding.

Even with the cost of the cable the Syntrek will be nearly £100 cheaper than the synscan - so you can buy yourself something else with the saving!!

Even with the cost of the cable the Syntrek will be nearly £100 cheaper than the synscan - so you can buy yourself something else with the saving!![/quote

That's my reasoning haha. When you say "click align" what programme is that in? Sorry I'm a noob :p

Cam

Sorry - not so clear - pick your first alignment object (star) and slew to it (on CdC bar at the top) then fine align using the EQMOD control panel (NESW buttons) or a gamepad (really useful and well worth buying - mine is a microsoft one, just plug and play and it works every time!).  When aligned click on "sync" on CdC - it will ask for confirmation, just click on OK.  Repeat for the other alignment stars.  You can see how you are getting on on the EQMOD control panel - and you can delete alignment points if you wish using the same panel.

When done pick your target by clicking on it and click on slew (CdC) - the scope will slew to put your target dead centre.

Sorry - not so clear - pick your first alignment object (star) and slew to it (on CdC bar at the top) then fine align using the EQMOD control panel (NESW buttons) or a gamepad (really useful and well worth buying - mine is a microsoft one, just plug and play and it works every time!). When aligned click on "sync" on CdC - it will ask for confirmation, just click on OK. Repeat for the other alignment stars. You can see how you are getting on on the EQMOD control panel - and you can delete alignment points if you wish using the same panel.

When done pick your target by clicking on it and click on slew (CdC) - the scope will slew to put your target dead centre.

Ooo ok I get it now yeah. Thanks, also I have an old xbox 360 with 4 controllers (now got an Xbox one so is surplus), so I might use one of the old controllers as a gamepad!

Cheers

Cam

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got an EQ6 Syntrek a few months ago and love it. It comes with a polar scope and although you'll need to double check its aligned to the mount (mine was aligned perfectly on arrival), polar alignment is straightforward. If you're not sure about using the polar scope, it's very straightforward once you've done it a couple of times, but if you're leaving it set up in an obsy (I'm jealous), you won't exactly need to do it often.

I'll mention it here as I wasn't sure from your original post, that the Syntrek version is not a goto setup. Although the websites say you only need to plug in a synscan handset, the one I have doesn't seem to want to communicate with the mount. I'm not exactly bothered by that as I find it just as easy to find stuff using the setting circles.

Whichever you go for, hope you get lots of fun out of it.

Archived